• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cruise ship wrap

daenterpri

So... the resort in my town does a pirate cruise every year and they want me to bid the job. The wrap is all banner material, held on by velcro. They reuse the prints for 3 years and then reprint. There is roughly 1950 sq/ft of banner and about 100 sq/ft of actual adhesive vinyl to fill in where the banner cannot.

The shop that did this last time claims it was way harder than they imagined so they upped the bid this year...which is why they want me to bid it.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how I should go about this project?

I have a few of specific questions :)

• What type of banner material would be best for something like this? (needs to last 3 summers)
  • How often should I place the velcro to hold up the weight?
  • Are there better ways of hanging banner besides velcro?
  • It appears that the banner is laying really tightly to the boat... think they just used lots of velcro?

I've attached a picture to help give an idea. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Wish I could just wrap this sucker in PhotoTex...but I doubt I could reuse it after the first year...or could I?

Attachments

• PirateBoat_6826.jpg
    PirateBoat_6826.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 103
  • PirateBoat_6843.jpg
    PirateBoat_6843.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 92

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, here's hoping they never take it out on a windy day. I can't for the life of me, believe they used Velcro to hold banners on.

On another note, I thought that guy up at the cannon was really a pirate with one leg, until I realized he had his foot propped up on the railing. :thread

ProWraps

lol.. thats a houseboat not a cruise ship.

and chances are they are just using you to compare the other guys quote. pretty standard. he has all the templates and the experience doing this before. he will still get the job.

the customer will just make him come down to your price point if you are lower.

i wouldnt put too much thought or time into it.

daenterpri

and chances are they are just using you to compare the other guys quote. pretty standard. he has all the templates and the experience doing this before. he will still get the job.

That is a good point. That did go through my mind. I should probably just put $100k on it, see if I get it ;)

Moze

Precision Sign Services
My wife and I have vacationed up there. I'm very jealous of where you live. :) We just spent a week up in McCall a few months back. Makes it hard to want to go home.

threeputt

Around here they're just plain ol' "party boats".

daenterpri

My wife and I have vacationed up there. I'm very jealous of where you live. :) We just spent a week up in McCall a few months back. Makes it hard to want to go home.

We do very much love living here :) The only bad part about living here is that we don't have anywhere to vacation to! ;)

visual800

He nailed it!

Marlene

I hate these kinds of people. they clearly got a great job done and were happy with the results. the other company had to figure out how to make this work with banner material, on a boat, held on with velcro that could be used again and they did all that. what does the "cruise ship" company do? take photos of their great work and send it out to bid to see if they can get it cheaper. dirt balls

visual800

seriously?

what, you are never allowed to get a second quote or a second opinion????

I get what marlene is saying. They obviously had something on there that worked and now they are entertaining bids. Who knows maybe they bid the first time. point is this last printer spent some time making the measurements and all that jazz