• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curling Edges

Marie

We have several sample signs in our shop that we made about 4 months ago. We printed them with our JV3 on 3MIJ35 and mounted them to 3 mil PVC, no lamination. On the edges, the vinyl is starting to curl away from the PVC boards. It is heavy ink coverage and the color bleeds all the way to the edge. Any thoughts?

CS-SignSupply-TT

Marie, your experience is typical for PVC and full bleeds. PVC has a porous nature to it. IJ35 is a calendared vinyl. With a full bleed, the vinyl will tend to curl. It is recommended to leave an 1/8" or so border to reduce the chance of edge curl. If the border cannot be applied, then lamination with encapsulation is recommended.

wildside

always leave a 1/8" to 1/4" white border on all printing, seems to solve that issue

on a side note, last time we tried ij35, same issues no matter what we did, it was crap material and still regret ever trying it

javagod

Manager
Primer

I have had the sane issues, I know when I two-face tape 1mm PVC to signacades, if I use 3M 94 primer I get get great adhesion. Wonder if that works on the edge of the PVC before a person mounted the vinyl, keeping in mind that the primer would need to be completely dry. I've got a number of large menus that are all black that I'm trying that with. Any thoughts?