• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curling Issue with laminated vinyl post-plotting

Melks

Sounds like there is an issue with the Briteline media/lam combo. Briteline is not a quality product so that would be my first change. Cold lam does the trick for me every time. Never experienced this type of issue. If the same results are happening after print and lam with a 3M/Avery/Arlon/Oracal product then your laminator is the culprit.

MikePro

briteline media is awesome. no issues here on my HP26500. we use their durationX with the UVshield overlam for our "cheap stuff" (mdo's, coroplast signs, location tags, etc.)

still, calendared is calendared.... no matter the "5yr" lifespan label people try to put on it. it wants to shrink, by nature of its manufacturing process. I have yet to see a calendared print/lam, perfectly processed & applied, that doesn't have a black line of gunk around the perimeter after a year because the vinyl has shrunk-away from where the adhesive made contact during initial application. Cutting letters and detailed shapes simply converts this shrinkage into curl, and is exaggerated by any tensions you put on it along the way (heat from printing, heat from laminator roll, tension from lamination web, etc.).

you should try upgrading your calendared prints with briteline's (or any brand's) cast overlaminate, if you intend to contour cut. little bit of extra cost, but the cast top layer should resist the curling of the calendared print layer and add longevity to your product without having to go with the best-of-the-best-cast-$$$brand on everything across the board.