Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curling Issue with laminated vinyl post-plotting

Discussion in 'Labels and Decals' started by Melissa C, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Melissa C

Melissa C New Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Seattle
    Sure have, and everything yields the same results. We are also running the laminator with the highest tension on the vinyl and the least amount of tension on the lam that I can get away with. This encourages the stickers to curl downwards which is far favorable than upwards due to the way they are being displayed in retail establishments.
    Like I said, I appreciate everyone's input but we are no longer doing any testing and are investing in better equipment.

2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    What would be better equipment in your companies eyes?

3. SlikGRFX

SlikGRFX Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Sweden
    Are these time sensitive prints? We laminate everything cold (unless specified by the manufacturer) and we get some silvering but this disappears within a day or so, or when the prints are applied to a substrate.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    This made me chuckle, and I knew somebody would be floored at the thought.
    If I remember right, I'm running it at 120% ink density. Almost every piece of vinyl I print ends up on something more expensive, we have very few banner/sticker jobs, so I shoot for the highest quality I can get. 4pass @ 15 minutes vs 20pass @ 1hr or so doesn't make that much of a gain for me.

5. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Interesting! Have you done comparisons of something like 12p 100 vs 20p 120? Cause on something like a SAV I feel like they'd be identical.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    SAV? I have done a ton of comparisons on my old l25500, not as many on this one. It all started when printing banners would always jam, before that one firmware update that turned the vacuum way down on banners, and the only way to get the banner material to not stick was to crank the passes. I could never make money with that thing until I got the new firmware. Anyways, the quality is not radically different, but since it's $5 worth of material, $.25 worth of ink, and latex's weakness is fading colors, let's just go on and put twice as much ink down.

7. CDM Design

CDM Design Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Toronto
    Sounds like there is an issue with the Briteline media/lam combo. Briteline is not a quality product so that would be my first change. Cold lam does the trick for me every time. Never experienced this type of issue. If the same results are happening after print and lam with a 3M/Avery/Arlon/Oracal product then your laminator is the culprit.

8. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    briteline media is awesome. no issues here on my HP26500. we use their durationX with the UVshield overlam for our "cheap stuff" (mdo's, coroplast signs, location tags, etc.)

still, calendared is calendared.... no matter the "5yr" lifespan label people try to put on it. it wants to shrink, by nature of its manufacturing process. I have yet to see a calendared print/lam, perfectly processed & applied, that doesn't have a black line of gunk around the perimeter after a year because the vinyl has shrunk-away from where the adhesive made contact during initial application. Cutting letters and detailed shapes simply converts this shrinkage into curl, and is exaggerated by any tensions you put on it along the way (heat from printing, heat from laminator roll, tension from lamination web, etc.).

you should try upgrading your calendared prints with briteline's (or any brand's) cast overlaminate, if you intend to contour cut. little bit of extra cost, but the cast top layer should resist the curling of the calendared print layer and add longevity to your product without having to go with the best-of-the-best-cast-$$$brand on everything across the board.