• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curve on Front Window

SDSignGuy

Okay, I've been doing this for some time and its funny I've never had to actually do one of these. I have a customer that wants his website across the top of the windshield. I thought it would be a pretty simple install, but in either direction if you want it straight, it goes completely off. So I figured there has to be a template or a way to get this right. So how is it done?

Jillbeans

I just eyeball it when doing the layout.
I make it have a slight "smile" distortion so it lays straight on the window.
You can also start your application from the center, and slit your app tape and backing paper up from the bottom of the decal, easing it into the curve.
But that sucks.
Love....Jill

ucmj22

whenever I have to fit a curve, I take a piece of scrap backing paper, lay it on the object and trim it until its right, then I take some measurements from the flat paper, and make a template in illustrator

J

john1

Hope this helps :thumb:

Attachments

• WINDSHIELDtut_012.gif
    WINDSHIELDtut_012.gif
    35 KB · Views: 100

SDSignGuy

So either eyeball it or create your own template. Well I tried eyeballing and it looks like crap, but I didn't start from center, and I am also not climbing on this customers car to get to center. Any other suggestions? My client will come back later on, but I need a better solution or no dice the next time this rolls around.

Craig Sjoquist

Doing what Ucmj22 is the way to do it if you get to plan ahead .

If it just shows up letters are cut.. take a straight edge using one hand as guide on windshield other hold china marker make line for copy to follow and do what Jill said cut between letters start in middle and install one at a time