• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curved molding on a wooden sign

How you reproduce the curved molding in wood on a sign similar to the attached picture?

A customer asked me the other day what it would take to make a real wood style pub sign. They want the sign to be in the same shape and have the same molding as the attached picture and it has to be wood.

I've thought about cutting it to shape, bent lamination, steam bending and carving to make the molding. I'm just not sure how long any of those methods would last outdoors long term.

I've done a little research online and noticed a lot of the "pub" signs I found that have this form tend to be reproductions, probably made of resin I'm guessing. The real wood antique examples I found seemed to have less molding if any, the more complicated the shape of the sign.

So I'm not even sure if what the customer is asking is actually entirely right if they want to try and make something "authentic".

Attachments

• 15803079_1_m.jpg
    15803079_1_m.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 87
Yeah, I thought about the CNC routing. I don't have one but I could sub it out and that's a definite option.

I probably should have been more specific and say how would one do this without CNC routing or how would have the old school guys done it.

Thanks,
Chris

J Hill Designs

Yeah, I thought about the CNC routing. I don't have one but I could sub it out and that's a definite option.

I probably should have been more specific and say how would one do this without CNC routing or how would have the old school guys done it.

Thanks,
Chris

:thumb:

Attachments

• Wood_carving_tools.jpg
    Wood_carving_tools.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 66

GB2

Old Member
Join pieces of wood together with miter joints so they cover the area that you want to create the molding for, then cut out the curved profile, then either hand carve or preferable hand rout the molding profile that you want on the trim. This is typical cabinet and carpentry work.

It's just the one. Friends of mine have a business making mead.

I didn't think I would actually like mead but it's really pretty good.

The meadary is decorated somewhere between renaissance and modern...kind of an eclectic mix. Their location is behind an old textile mill that's been converted to offices and shops. Lots of interesting architecture. The mill itself is made completely of old brick. Their space is detached and was an addition to the mill so it's slightly more modern and not quite as "cool" looking.

An old world style pub sign would definitely fit the theme. Thinking about trying to do some gilding work. Their logo is a stylized yellow bee with a dark blue back ground. It's been at least 20 years since I've done any sort of gilding.

Either way it's a nice break from the normal day to day signage.

~Chris

CanuckSigns

Join pieces of wood together with miter joints so they cover the area that you want to create the molding for, then cut out the curved profile, then either hand carve or preferable hand rout the molding profile that you want on the trim. This is typical cabinet and carpentry work.

this

round man

looks like standard work for a millwork shop,...around here we have a huge furniture manufacturing base so millwork shops that specialize in millwork type trim like you seek are common,......the top center pieice would be a custom order but the rest could be done with straight pieces,....

Z SIGNS

If it's going to be painted and you don't need to see the wood grain you could jigsaw the shape in mdf and route a profile on it then attach to board.

player

I saw this sign I thought would be a good sample...

I think wetting and bending the frame is the way to do it.

X2U-1023531.jpg

AF

I can make the moulding correctly if you have a profile and / or size of the cross section, and a drawing of the final sign with all dimensions and radii. Would also need to know the species. If you can find a local Millwork supplier with in-house capabilities you could save shipping time and freight costs.