• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom aluminum field markers signs

Andy D

I have been asked to quote a job for several custom aluminum field markers signs,
the architect provides no specs and in the addendum basically says it's a typical sign
and whatever is typically done :mad:

Does anyone know is there are kits for these?

Has anyone done signage similar to below? I'm assuming the top two panels are routed .080 or .125 aluminum, but might be a solid panel with vinyl?!?!?

upload_2019-8-29_10-46-8.png

Billct2

Yea, looks to be routed...but that assumes a lot. You need more details, like the colors & finish. They spec that for the poles but not the sign?

2B

Yes, more details are needed, also assuming routing.

I would scope as tig welding tabs onto the poles and then routing the "signs" so the tabs and signs are a solid piece.
Guessing they want the "signs" to be powder coated since the frame is being powder coated.

reading the specs, have concerns about installation.
  • placing aluminum into the concrete

rossmosh

Architects should not spec signs just like they shouldn't spec what type of kitchen cabinets you use.

My experience is there are two ways to handle this job.

1. You start a dialog and figure out what they actually want. If you build a report with them to the point where they think "This company can deliver what I want", the price might be less of a concern.

2. Just price it with the right, cheap materials. At the end of the day, the architect is just trying to find a vendor, potentially just to close out their obligation on the job. Win the bid and then when it comes time to actually do the job, you'll offer them a "good, better, best" option package and let them ultimately decide.

I'm genuinely baffled how professionals can consider this "bidding out a job". It's not even close to enough information.

Andy D

Architects should not spec signs just like they shouldn't spec what type of kitchen cabinets you use.

My experience is there are two ways to handle this job.

1. You start a dialog and figure out what they actually want. If you build a report with them to the point where they think "This company can deliver what I want", the price might be less of a concern.

2. Just price it with the right, cheap materials. At the end of the day, the architect is just trying to find a vendor, potentially just to close out their obligation on the job. Win the bid and then when it comes time to actually do the job, you'll offer them a "good, better, best" option package and let them ultimately decide.

I'm genuinely baffled how professionals can consider this "bidding out a job". It's not even close to enough information.

It's different for me, I find public projects that lists a sign package and bid it to all of the contractors who are bidding the entire job. I have sent "clarifications" emails to architects and engineers prior to the bid several times,
but have yet to receive a response. I'm a small cog in multi-million dollar projects and I imagine it gets crazy before a bid date.