• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom Easel made by former Nazi

Arlo Kalon 2.0

About 25 years ago my shop was in a maintenance bay in a huge aircraft hangar at a local airport. The shop next to me was occupied by an aircraft builder who learned his trade in an underground aircraft factory in Germany during WW2. I became quite good friends with Herr Tischler and was fascinated with knowing someone who had personally seen Hitler many times. Tischler is a first class aircraft builder who was often called upon by the Smithsonian to replicate aircraft pieces for the Air & Space museum.

One day I told him about my idea to build an easel on roll around casters I could easily place anywhere in my shop I wanted it. From then on, until about 4 days later, I couldn't figure out why his shop door was always locked and he didn't want me inside it. He knocked on my door one day and standing beside him was this awesome easel he had built for me as a gift - totally free of charge. It far exceeded anything I could have built myself.

The first photo shows it with the electric pounce mounted on top of it - very handy. The second photo shows it adjusted to nearly vertical. In addition to which it can be adjusted up and down, and to a flat table top. The third photo is of the pencil tray along the top of it. The fourth pic is of the boat winch to adjust it up and down. Years ago, after once closing up shop, I gave it to Steve C. He recently gave it back to me and with all the painted work I'm bringing in it has once again become a highly prized piece of equipment.

Years ago I took it to a Letterhead meet for the use of guys doing demonstrations. Raymond Chapman used it and afterwards took numerous detailed pics of its construction. I don't know if he ever attempted a recreation, but he did ask me if I'd sell it right then. I have yet to ever see an easel that compares to it.

Attachments

• Easel1.jpg
    Easel1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Easel2.jpg
    Easel2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 57
  • Easel3.jpg
    Easel3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Easel4.jpg
    Easel4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 63

artbot

this is a really great design. i was thinking about tearing apart a couple inversion tables (the thing you hang upside down to stretch your back). and make some lightweight rotisserie tables. you can buy locking hardware kits off of ebay used for the automotive rotisseries. but this design look a lot more stable. if you can take a lot more detailed picks that would be great. i'd love to build a couple.

artbot

thank you very much. i'm wondering if a cave man version using a counter weight/pulley and pins might be possible.

Mike F

I don't know jack about easels, but that looks and sounds to be one sweet piece of equipment. Interesting background story as well.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Good lord that is awesome. Tops the best one I ever had the opportunity to use which was made out of an old 8' extruded photo developer and a lot of ingenuity. Kudos to an awesome story and an awesome piece of equipment ... I'm officially jealous.