• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom profiles self-destructing?

mark in tx

Is it possible for profiling software to build in an expiration date?

Say a profile is done on Jan 1 2013, can it set the profile to expire on Jan 1 2014 requiring a new profiling be done?
Nothing dramatic, like no print output, but maybe shift the output noticeably.

Just a new conspiracy theory I had today.

Is it possible for profiling software to build in an expiration date?

Say a profile is done on Jan 1 2013, can it set the profile to expire on Jan 1 2014 requiring a new profiling be done?
Nothing dramatic, like no print output, but maybe shift the output noticeably.

Just a new conspiracy theory I had today.

There is no such thing as 'profile rot'; media profiles do not degrade over time. They can however produce different output over time, due to changes in the printer. Typically, re-linearizing the printer when output degrades would be the first thing to do, in an effort to get the device back to it's original state that was in effect when the original profile was created.

mark in tx

That makes a whole lot more sense than my wild idea.

Been having an issue with a print done in October, then done again in December, and the results are drastically different.
I knew that my wild conspiracy idea was nuts, so I figured asking here would get me back on the rational track, forgot to consider the printer itself.
Thank you!

hansman

This is a prime example of why to linearize your printer BEFORE profiling.
Also, save a sample of your test print and date it. I recommend runnning a test print at the start of each week, and before any color critical job just to be sure the printer hasn't drifted.