Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom profiles self-destructing?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by mark in tx, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Is it possible for profiling software to build in an expiration date?

Say a profile is done on Jan 1 2013, can it set the profile to expire on Jan 1 2014 requiring a new profiling be done?
    Nothing dramatic, like no print output, but maybe shift the output noticeably.

Just a new conspiracy theory I had today.

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    There is no such thing as 'profile rot'; media profiles do not degrade over time. They can however produce different output over time, due to changes in the printer. Typically, re-linearizing the printer when output degrades would be the first thing to do, in an effort to get the device back to it's original state that was in effect when the original profile was created.

3. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    That makes a whole lot more sense than my wild idea.

Been having an issue with a print done in October, then done again in December, and the results are drastically different.
    I knew that my wild conspiracy idea was nuts, so I figured asking here would get me back on the rational track, forgot to consider the printer itself.
    Thank you!

4. hansman

hansman Member

Dec 20, 2013
    This is a prime example of why to linearize your printer BEFORE profiling.
    Also, save a sample of your test print and date it. I recommend runnning a test print at the start of each week, and before any color critical job just to be sure the printer hasn't drifted.