• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

custom profiling using older Flexi versions

letterman7

I've got a regular municipal customer who gets new vehicles every couple of years. Their colors are a gold and red on a white background. They have always requested everything to be reflective. In long years past, I've layered the reflective gold and red on the reflective white, and have printed a few on reflective white as well. The printed ones look ok, the gold color actually came out pretty close, but the reds have always had a washed look. In the interest of keeping costs down, I plan to keep on printing when possible. I'm using Flexi 8.2 (I know - ancient tech) on a Mutoh 1204.

I've been playing with a number of different profiles, RGB and CMYK settings for the red, but really haven't struck on anything that looks "right". I know I'll never hit the true red reflective look, but I'd like to be closer than I am now. In my playing and printing samples, there have been a number of overlaps of printed tiles (I just print squares of the color to check) and the overlaps often get very close to what I'm looking for. Now, in searching the forum I have found that there is a way to double print on some versions of Flexi. Mine isn't one of them, however. I can't just crank up the saturation because it would then affect the other color - the gold - and make that too "bright".

I had thought of setting up a second file with just the red portions, and re-running the print through the machine to second coat the red. I've never tried that, and I'm not entirely confident in the Mutoh that a) it would track exactly the same and b) my abilities to start it at the exact same point. Any variation off the initial run would be very noticeable in this design.

So.. anyone with a bright idea that might be able to shed some light on super-saturating a single color?

Rick