• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom Roms For Android

jc1cell

How many of the Android users have applied custom ROMs to their phones?

Planning on flashing a custom ROM on my Vibrant in order to get Android 2.2 on it. Tmo and Samsung aren't moving fast enough....2.3 is already out and 2.4 is around the corner!!!

Anyone?

jc

mrfern

Running CyanogenMod-6.1.2-Supersonic Android 2.2.1 and it works perfect. Free WIFI teathering was what I wanted and WALA... I got it now.

tanneji

i have a captivate and have cycled through several roms ... i really want that gingerbread but i will settle for just a little froyo first. the custom froyo roms for the captivate just chew battery ... i get maybe 10 hours of little use. They just need to release the froyo-ness!

mrfern

Sorry HTC EVO... NERDS... Yes I am and proud of it. Onething to note. If you root the phone and then want to go back to the orig rom you have to do it yourself since the phone store who has the rom will not put it back on for you. So lame....

jc1cell

Still waiting for Verizon to release 2.2 for my Ally. Should be any day now. I am too chicken to flash my phone.

Yeah. I've been waiting for Samsung and Tmobile to get their stuff together...but no dice. They already have a new vibrant planned for release but guess what....2.2 on it even though 2.3 is already out.

Always one step behind.

Flashing it will help me stay on the ball with the latest releases of the OS.

jc

petesign

I had a Mytouch 3g that I had flashed 2.2 on while waiting on FroYo to come out. It's a much slicker OS than 1.6 - which is what I was running. The posts about chewing up battery life are right. I don't know what OS your phone runs now, but I noticed a HUGE difference in battery life. Supposedly 2.2 was going to handle background applications better, but if I ran anything (pandora, slacker, etc.) on my way home and forgot to turn the phone off and back on again it would be dead by morning.

Changing the ROM was really easy. Supposedly there's a risk of bricking your phone - but you can go on youtube and watch videos explaining how to do it if you are nervous.

My phone though, was a total POS, so I got an iphone 3g and did the jailbreak thing, until I figure out what I want to do next. Edge is fast enough for most data I need to send or receive. I get about 150 kbps. Sad, my iphone 3g runs circles around my old mytouch 3g which was supposed to be a newer generation. (No multi-tasking is a minor irritation, I will admit) From my experience, android still has a little catching up to do.. but 2.2 was light years ahead of 1.6.

Kwiksigns

wookie
there are better forums to discuss this... not saying you cant ask what you want but you would get more on say maybe a forum for Droid?

jc1cell

No sweat Kwik, didn't think anything by it.

I've been to the related forums and have read and found the steps and all which helped me make the decision to flash. Just wanted to bring the topic to the forum I spend most of my day reading on.

Cheers,
jc