• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

customer askig for an oil resistant decal

gabagoo

This customer is in the oil business. They are a distributor of a major oil brand and want me to make decals that go out to the tanks on customers lots for identification. I can put a laminate on the decals but oil resistant? I suppose.
I told them they have to clean off the areas before adhering, but afterwards I can only guess that oil dripping on the decal would be OK for a few years? Who knows?

Tony McD

As long as it's clean when lettered you should be ok.
I had the same concerns when I lettered some fuel storage
tanks about five years ago....and they're still fine.
My tanks had a fresh coat of paint so a quick clean was all I needed.

The face of vinyl lettering should be resistant to oil, I think the
problem would be if the oil somehow leached through the tank to the
adhesive.

stickermonkey

I've been making labels for a local Fuel Tank manufacturer for many years...I've never had trouble with the decals I've used. Most of their tanks labels are 3M calendered film. The ones that are printed get a layer of lam. They've been happy with them.

:) I'm sure if it's cleaned well enough before it's stickered it'll be just fine.

AUTO-FX

I did graphics on a helicopter for amtrak years back. It was perfectly clean when they got it and my high perf vinyl (i think i was using avery at the time) worked great ... For awhile. Eventually, the dripping fuel and oils from the engine and exhaust ate through under the edges. Didnt hurt the vinyl at all, just attacked the adhesive. I always thought that if i had edge sealed everything it would have been good. Catalized automotive urethane clearcoat paint would have been the ticket. The philadelphia police dept had a helicopter at the same hangar, and all their decal work had been completely clear coated over. Now that was really the ticket , but not really practical for most of us to do.

stickermonkey

I did graphics on a helicopter for amtrak years back. It was perfectly clean when they got it and my high perf vinyl (i think i was using avery at the time) worked great ... For awhile. Eventually, the dripping fuel and oils from the engine and exhaust ate through under the edges. Didnt hurt the vinyl at all, just attacked the adhesive. I always thought that if i had edge sealed everything it would have been good. Catalized automotive urethane clearcoat paint would have been the ticket. The philadelphia police dept had a helicopter at the same hangar, and all their decal work had been completely clear coated over. Now that was really the ticket , but not really practical for most of us to do.

I do a fair bit of Heli decals too...was just looking at that very same issue the other day. I use 3M 220 metalic or opague colours for this customer and only 1 side has the edges releasing within a a half a year approx. The owner of the company knows that its because of the oils and heat coming from the exaust pipe situated above that area of the chopper. I will perhaps suggest a clearcoat overtop the decals...but I'm not sure they'd want to go to that extra step when sometimes they litterally have hours to get a bird back in the air.

Kyla