• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer buys printer

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'm with you on this. I'd be mad too that a customer tried to cut me out of the equation, but he still needs you, take advantage of that, take the money and run. Better to make some money off the guy than none at all, right? I get it's the principal and all, but it sounds like he's going to learn really quickly that wide format printing is not as easy as he thought, so laminate for him, don't do him any favors on price, but still take the work. When he fries his printer or figures out his true costs and gives up on it he'll come back to you for everything. In the mean time, take the money and don't burn the bridge!

Yup. And you know when he learns his lesson, you will be the first person he will call and offer it to you, and then you can pick it up for pennies on the dollar.

rjssigns

I laminate for another shop. Also do some of their print work too. Long story and we're under contract so I can't talk about details. Suffice to say I will laminate/print all day and all night for these guys. They are in a totally different realm of signage anyway.
We make good coin on product we never would have got a sniff at.

Pat Whatley

He's gonna bug the hell out of you with questions for a while.

Then he's gonna figure out how cheap it is to print stuff on his own and how you're ripping people off. Then he's going to get his wife/girlfriend/cousin/brother to open a shop selling crap stuff at crap prices. Then he'll drive down the market price in town to the point where you aren't doing much printing any longer.

Nope, only way to handle this is to shoot him now and bury him in a soybean field.

CanuckSigns

I laminate for another shop. Also do some of their print work too. Long story and we're under contract so I can't talk about details. Suffice to say I will laminate/print all day and all night for these guys. They are in a totally different realm of signage anyway.
We make good coin on product we never would have got a sniff at.

This! :goodpost:

Billct2

I've had a few of these happen over the years.
It's not the same as doing sub work for other shops.
This customer has gone into business to specifically take away some of your business, and then some.
By potentially (big maybe) helping him succeed you will contribute to your own loss of business.
And if he does fail he'll probably be too embarassed to offer you the now worthless machines.
Let him sink or swim all on his own.

jasonx

Show him the ebay listing where they tell you to use sun screen to protect your prints from uv exposure.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Lam his prints for him ... I like the idea of $4 a sq foot. If he does decide to call it quits, let him know i'll buy his roland for $500 after he's gummed up all the heads.

Suz

Mosh, I had a Customer recently do this to me. Person came to my shop, nosed around a lot, asked lots of questions, bought their own printer. Now wants me to sell my artwork to them to reproduce. I was offered 5% of anything that sells. LOL! Oh, and they would have the rights to reproduce my art however they saw fit, forever. I just said "That's a great offer" and "Congrats" and nothing more will be said, no more help given. Oh, and I can do without the 5% Royalty, or Ripoff, whatever they want to call it. Haha!

timjf

Had this same thing happen to us. Now they get mad when my sales guy goes after their customers. We get good laughs at the shop because they get themselves into binds a lot trying to copy us. I say oh well anyone can buy this stuff but it doesn't mean they know how to run it and run a business.

PS we still get them out of the binds they get in

TXFB.INS

Had this same thing happen to us. Now they get mad when my sales guy goes after their customers. We get good laughs at the shop because they get themselves into binds a lot trying to copy us. I say oh well anyone can buy this stuff but it doesn't mean they know how to run it and run a business.

PS we still get them out of the binds they get in

hopefully there is $$$$$ added to this help

we had a recent customer not like our price on 040 aluminum 48x96. so they went out and got their our printer and now doing FULL COLOR / INK COVERAGE 2 sided signs for $117.65!!!

On top of that they are constantly trying to rip off our artwork / designs and not even hiding the fact they are doing it

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
There are scabs everywhere.

Just because they buy the equipment doesn't mean they are competition even in the slightest. I have no idea how many times someone comes in saying they bought a printer, a plotter, a screen press, whatever and are going to take over business in Amarillo ... they don't. Some try to underbid ... by a ton ... doesn't help them, only gets them the cheapest customer. It's why I now adays like to choose my jobs, I quote for making a good living, not a lot of work and if I get the job ... awesome ... if not ... I'm going to go work on a painting or go spend time with my boy.

If you provide a good product with excellent customer service and you are reasonably priced ... you can lose a customer here or there because they are cheapscates. I almost bet you the ones you lose were the biggest pains in the *** to begin with.

I won't help these people ... but I definitely won't hurt them ... or suggest them to people. There are shops more suited to do jobs I get inquiries about and I tell them to go to those shops to see what they can do. the scab shops pretty much don't exist on my radar, I know who runs them, I know who does the actual work and I know the quality ... but because of that I am just more informed about how little they affect my business as my customers know they will get what they need, when they need it and won't have any issues with it.