Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customer Complaint -"Sign Flickers"

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by vid, Apr 14, 2010.

1. vid

vid Very Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    California
    One of our installers went out to service a "flickering" sign. Upon arrival, he wasn't sure what to do. So, he took a couple of pictures and came back to the show us the problem.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the electrical aspect of sign making. BUUUUTTTTT, it's glaringly obvious to me that someone used a twinkle bulb. Duh... :rolleyes: It's that bulb that's causing the perceived "flickering."

It's just amazing to me that our electrician couldn't pinpoint the problem and fix it on site. ...:banghead:

File this under: "it never ceases to amaze me."

Yes, this was as the sign appeared when the installer showed up. And he was nervous getting close to it with our company logo truck for fear that someone would think we touched it. There's not an insurance policy big enough.

It rained last week too. :banghead:

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    So how do they do signs when Christmas lights are out of season?
    :doh:

3. Jet Fast Printing

Jet Fast Printing Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Omg!

4. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

wowzers. I'm thinking that's not to code...

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I think the sign shop that won that bid said he could beat anyones price for a lighted sign!

6. StopSignGraphics

StopSignGraphics Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Holy Crap... I bet that's the guy who buys up all the Christmas lights when they go on clearance.

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    That's F-in rediculous

8. Cross Signs

Cross Signs Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clearwater FL
    Wow!

9. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    No wonder they called you to fix this crazy install ..

10. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    WOW, I have no comment for that one.... Funny though...

11. Joe Diaz

Joe Diaz Very Active Member

Wow, those must be the new econo-LED's. I here you can get them to blink with music too.

12. joeshaul

joeshaul Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I bet $5 that someone's going to be upset next Thanksgiving. "I ain't buying no new lights for the house again this year, they should've been in the damn sign!"

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Okay, so one channel letter was wired wrong..... how 'bout the rest of them ??

14. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    the real problem, be it the owner or god forbid, some sign guy. actually thought that
    this was ok!
    jill said it right, ######## rediculus!!!!!

15. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Wow...I guess on the plus side...they at least used wire nuts instead of electrical tape to put them together!

16. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    Can the "Clapper" be wired into that somehow?

17. 1leonchen

1leonchen Member

Feb 12, 2009
    The carribbean
    real genius with the wire nuts

18. visualeyez

visualeyez Member

Jan 23, 2007
    harbor
    I was actually quite happy with the $350 I got for that job. Cut the letters out of some old plywood I had laying around. Hand drew them all from cards that the business said was Areyall or some corporate junk. Painted them with two coats of Krylon Silver. All the lights ran about $40 and I had the wood screws so I just winded them around those and they were set. I had my son do the wiring, he's put in some stereos and stuff. I thought the flicker bulbs would give it that Vegas look, No?

OK, I totally made that up, but it might have went down like that...
    -Keith

19. vid

vid Very Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    California
    I s'pose they're fine. Ain't no one seen sparks comin' outta those, yet. din't think it was necessary to check 'em out.
    :help:

That's what prompted the service call... Someone saw sparks. :banghead:

Duuuuuuuuuuuude... what are ya thinkin'? Ya gotta wait 'til after the holidays and buy the lights errrrrrrrrrr, we're sign people we call 'em "lamps" for half price at the 99 Cent Store - an' build your inventory for the year. You'd be surprised at the availability of all sorts of great colors and styles that no one uses.

...and next time, use the Hammered finish paint - OMG, it's to die for! - It just sparkles in every direction :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I heard more of the story this afternoon. You can't... you can't... NO ONE can make this stuff up. I fear I'd be called to testify if I wrote any more about this in a public forum. ...and I don't know nuthin'. I... just... it's... and no, it was not a... I can't say.

If you're a landlord, you really need to think about doing an annual inspection with a qualified contractor.

...and this is purely conjecture... because I don't know anything about electricity.
    Well, I do know two things about electricity:
    1. It hurts
    2. It hurts bad!
    Buuuuuut, the other ends of those two wires?........ I'd want to turn off the power to the whole building before I crawled into that attic....... cause that looks like it could hurt reeeeeeeeeaally bad.

20. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    hahahaha
    Oh my!
    Glad I don't mess with electric signs.
    Love....Jill