• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer hasn't paid for his sign after 3 months, can I take it down...?!

SKADSIGNS

Probably contact your lawyer first. If you'd rather not then draft a letter sending it certified, stating dates, times, copy of contract/estimate attached, stating when you installed, when he paid the 250. Include that he has ten days to respond with either money, barter, or the sign. If after ten days and no response then go to a lawyer and see where it takes you.

onesource

I have shown up a few times with my crane, had my guy to boom up while I went in to collect and the magic money appeared

Cadmn

guys he is on the other side of the pond (I think). their laws may allow the Bobbies to arrest him for taking the sign. Contact the Landlord & get his in put he might give permission to remove the sign or might pay & Keep & then get his money in the long run.

Last edited:

chop10

solution

I think I have a very viable solution. Go ahead and remove the Dibond sign, as this may have some value to you at a later date. Try to get it down on a Sunday morning or late in the day when no one is around. As far as the window graphics are concerned - forget them, not worth your time for removal. If you receive a phone call from your customer or the police happen to show up at your shop, explain to them you are performing warranty work on their sign. If you want to go into detail, just explain you had some vinyl failures with the product used on their sign and you took it down to replace the defective material. Hopefully your customer will come to terms with you, but I highly doubt any legal action could be taken on the customers behalf. Hope this was helpful.

Eddie Gallivant

1st Like back in Jersey Take a Brick to the windows. If he's goin bankrupt your probably not the only guy he's screwed over. Make sure your out of town that day. The'll have to figure out who did it.

2nd Break his friggin legs with a crow bar.

3rd and probably the only advice you should take from me "Call a Lawyer".

RoyWraps

First setup your Down Payment rules 50% specially new customers. 2 Kick yourself and then I will tell you about my story...
This customer had me wait for a down payment and then no payment after install.
3months later no payment. Fourth month first day of the month ( someone removed the signs and it wasn't me. Hell no one knows who did it.) Unless they caught a witness or on video. Get the hint? If he really bothers you clear it up. If you can't don't let it entangle you in a legal battle that is going to cost you a lot more than a lawyer. (Your Time) that means lost business and future projects. One thing is for sure clean it out or clear it out.

Ken

Removing the sign will not get your money back...but it would sure feel good!
Depending on my state of mind..I'd be inclined to do the same.
But it boils down to getting the deposit...that usually makes things go much better...
Cheers!
Ken

onesource

I was working for a company years ago and installed a chinese restaurant sign and when we went to collect...he forgot how to speak english. The boss took the loss...the food sucked so eating up any lost profits was out of the question.

Kendo

You've learnt an expensive lesson!
New Customers should pay a deposit.... too late for that one now.
Did you receive an Official Order (if not you're up the creek) if so, was it in his name or his business name - if it was him personally you can sue him personally - if it was his business entity you're basically up the creek if goes bankrupt.
Technically he owns the signs and he owes you the money. These are 2 separte issues in the eyes of a receiver if he goes bankrupt, so removing them or damaging them 'could' land you in trouble - that's not fair but it's the (English) Law.
In future (too late on this one) you can protect yourself to some degree by 1) getting an Official Order 2) Having him sign (as a new customer) a personal guarantee 'wrapped' in the wording of a 'credit' application for a 30? day account 3) have what's called a 'Romalpa' clause on your Invoices (Google it) - this is a clause which states that title to the goods (signs etc) does not pass to the buyer until fully paid for. This was a famous case in English Law which was upheld in favour of the seller and is used extensively these days (you' may have seen it on the bottom of your supplier Invoices but thought nothing of it) This would allow you to remove any sign which, on balance, was economical to do so.
BUT - revenge is sweet, I think I'd be covering the window prints with some cheap unprinted vinyl to minimise his advertising - sounds like he never intended to pay you.
Kendo

ddarlak

Go Bills!
break his front teeth.

every time he wants to eat corn on the cob, he will think of you and the wrong he did....