• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Humor

ova

Just to lighten things up a little winding down for the weekend, I thought we could have some customer related humor to end the day. No bashing, just some humor that makes this profession worth while.

We had a call from a guy in a panic needing just some black arrows to fit on 18x24 signs we did last year. One color, black. Said he'd send someone over to pick them up. Before I could hang up the phone, a guy shows up to get them. I loaded the cutter with the vinyl and asked the guy what direction he needed them pointing. The look on his face was priceless. He said he'd call his boss just to make sure. I had them cut, weeded and app taped before his boss got on the phine. Might not sound too funny now, but at the time it was great.

Anyone else want to chime in?

I sure hope I didn't misspell anything

Dave

Jillbeans

I don't find arrow humor funny.
:)
I swear to God every time I do an arrow for someone, particularly a female, they get that deer in the headlights look.
It's not that difficult people!

How about this?
Customer calls. They got their logo designed elsewhere last year.
I used their .ai file (after much going back and forth with their graphic designer to get a useable vector) to make some mags for them.
They want me to send them a pdf of the mag layout with the aforementioned logo.
Because someone else is making them a sign.
I told them they needed to contact their graphic designer.
B!tchy of me? Probably.
I have sign tourette's today.
Love....Jill

jiarby

we did some arrows for a wholesale customer on 10mm coro... he provided the art.
I printed the arrows, then mounted one side... and trimmed it down. I was thinking it would be easier to mount the second side is it was already arrow shaped.

It would have been easier but the art the guy sent over was bad. The arrow shape was not centered! He mirrored the shape, but the shape was not symmetrical. The tips of the arrows did not line up.

What was worse... the guy did not get it. He had no concept what I was talking about. I had to cut both shapes with my laser from cardboard and butt them back to back for him to see that the arrows were different.

Attachments

• arrow.jpg
    arrow.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 94

showcase 66

Wednesday I had a client call me up telling me the cards I just dropped off were all printed backwards/Reverse. Told her I would come take a look at them and I will see what I could do. These were the poly frost cards from GR Print. I get there and she holds one up and says take a look. Holding it towards me to be backwards. I asked how does it look when you are looking from that side. She then looked and turned bright Red. Everyone around in her office was cracking up. I told her its okay and she was not the first to do that. (she was the first I had ever seen do that). Before I left, I told her just not to be mad at me tomorrow.
She asked Why?
I said when I give you the bill for the Magic trick I just pulled in front of your eyes by changing the card.

It was pretty funny

sfr table hockey

Just to lighten things up a little winding down for the weekend, I thought we could have some customer related humor to end the day. No bashing, just some humor that makes this profession worth while.

We had a call from a guy in a panic needing just some black arrows to fit on 18x24 signs we did last year. One color, black. Said he'd send someone over to pick them up. Before I could hang up the phone, a guy shows up to get them. I loaded the cutter with the vinyl and asked the guy what direction he needed them pointing. The look on his face was priceless. He said he'd call his boss just to make sure. I had them cut, weeded and app taped before his boss got on the phine. Might not sound too funny now, but at the time it was great.

Anyone else want to chime in?

I sure hope I didn't misspell anything

Dave

What did his boss say on the phone?

You could have sent along some "this side up" stickers for them to apply to the mask so they could keep them in order.

I like to joke around with my customers too and some times they just don't get it.......

jiarby

I had a wholesale customer send me a PDF file to print... and then asked me to send them back a proof.

Huh?

I sent him back his own PDF file, but changed the name to proof.pdf and he was happy.

ova

Glad you chimed in Jiarby. From reading the other thread, I just thought everyone needed to lighten up some.

Good to see you have a sense of humor.

Dave

Last edited:

Pat Whatley

Had an employee of a pool cleaning company insist that lettering was read front to back on vehicles, not left to right, so the driver's door would say HARRIS POOLS but the passengers door was supposed to read SLOOP SIRRAH. We argued it for a few minutes but he just wasn't getting it. I ended up just cutting it the way he wanted it and gave him both sets. I was laughing when I told him to make sure he told his boss the whole story and to show him what I'd "tried" to sell them.

thewood

I had a wholesale customer send me a PDF file to print... and then asked me to send them back a proof.

Huh?

I sent him back his own PDF file, but changed the name to proof.pdf and he was happy.

That would be funny to me if it didn't happen on a daily basis.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

ova

Had an employee of a pool cleaning company insist that lettering was read front to back on vehicles, not left to right, so the driver's door would say HARRIS POOLS but the passengers door was supposed to read SLOOP SIRRAH. We argued it for a few minutes but he just wasn't getting it. I ended up just cutting it the way he wanted it and gave him both sets. I was laughing when I told him to make sure he told his boss the whole story and to show him what I'd "tried" to sell them.

Had this happen to me with boat numbers. He wanted the numbers in the same order on both sides of the boat. Should of seen the look on MY face when he said that. Couldn't convince him he was wrong, so I cut them his way.

He was happy when he left. Always wonder who remade them and what he said about me to the other shop. I can only imagine.

Dave

Tim Aucoin

Went to apply some 20" x 8" 2 color cut decals for a customer last week. I got the first one on, and before I had a chance to remove the mask, the customer says; "Um, is there any way you can get the image to look sharper? I wasn't aware there would have to be tape covering it to hold it down..." :banghead::ROFLMAO: When I proceeded to remove the mask, he got this look on his face like "how dumb am I"... I had to bite my tongue really hard!

randya

I have a customer who made an A-frames with arrows (both pointing the same way).
The end user calls up to say the arrows point the wrong way.
No amount of conversation on the phone would convince the client that the arrows were ok.
He had to physically go to the location and flip the sign around 180 to point the arrows to the clients business to satisfy the client, which apparently only angered the client.

Tim Aucoin

Huh?

WOW... I get that almost weekly! It's not just a Canadian thing! I'll have to do what you do and change the name to proof.pdf... never thought of that! Maybe I should start charging 5 bucks for a proof! :rolleyes:

Huh?

I get that all the time. Back in my other life as a printer we would rip the files and in our rip we could make a pdf of the ripped file which makes sense because things can change in the rip.
I don't think Flexi can do that but im not sure.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Customer paid to update their graphics for their logo, after 12 revisions they paid for ... we ended up only changing the color.

One customer wanted van graphics, said he just re-painted and that the paint was oven cured. when applying I noticed orange peel, told the customer and that that might be a sign of a bigger problem ... turns out they used latex house paint and didn't even sand the van. Transfer tape pulled it off (glad I tested on a corner out of the way first.)

One customer wanted me to wrap his drum set, after discussing pricing and options ended up saying he only has a $50 budget and asked me what he could do on that price range.

Had one customer come in who wanted a racing stripe ... liked what I did, but said would come back ... came back 2 months later with cracking and peeling intermediate vinyl wondering if I could give him a discount on the stripes to replace them.

jiarby

I have a customer who made an A-frames with arrows (both pointing the same way).
The end user calls up to say the arrows point the wrong way.
No amount of conversation on the phone would convince the client that the arrows were ok.
He had to physically go to the location and flip the sign around 180 to point the arrows to the clients business to satisfy the client, which apparently only angered the client.

I had this argument with a customer before!!

After sending them the proof of their A-Frame sign (with 1 arrow going right, and one going left)... They said the proof was wrong... It wasn't. I explained buy they still didn't get it.

Finally, I had to tell them to go get two pieces of paper.
Draw an arrow on each pointing right.
Now place them back to back like they will be on the A-Frame.

***DING***

The light goes off.

I love that moment when a moron realized that they were wrong and I was right.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I had this argument with a customer before!!

After sending them the proof of their A-Frame sign (with 1 arrow going right, and one going left)... They said the proof was wrong... It wasn't. I explained buy they still didn't get it.

Finally, I had to tell them to go get two pieces of paper.
Draw an arrow on each pointing right.
Now place them back to back like they will be on the A-Frame.

***DING***

The light goes off.

I love that moment when a moron realized that they were wrong and I was right.

The most I have to deal with something Like this is on vehicle graphics when the customer wants a drop shadow. I always ask if they want the drop shadow to be the opposite directions on the sides of the (rig, van, truck, unicycle, flying midget, etc) invariably they say no, until I show them what I mean. ... Lately I just do a perspective based shadow to avoid the conversations about it.

Si Allen

Years ago had one similar with arrows.

A friend was having a big factory type sale, but needed a bunch og yard typse signs ... since it was a zig zaggy way in from the freeway off ramp.

Decided he needed 20.

I said I would make them up and give him enough arrows to sick on. He paused and said "I will have to figure out how many rights and left arrows that I need and get back with you."
I said "Andy ... think! Arrows ! Apply!"

Took him about 2 seconds before he started laughing and said "And I am a supposed to be a Graduate Engineer!"

:Oops: