• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

customer needs a small pole pocket banner - reply is lol

myront

CorelDRAW is best
upload_2019-8-23_14-17-22.png

As I look at the image, I see that the center of the image is centered in the total absolute space.

Thinking in terms of the "Rule of 5ths," so to speak, and not knowing the height dimensions of the pdf image, I'm not able to say exactly to the inch as to how to situate it.

When I take 16"/5 I get about 3 inches.

Would it be possible to shift the image such that the notes on top of the tea cup is actually in the very center? When that happens, does it work out that there's somewhere about 3" blue border on the bottom?

Sorry to be so wacky about details. I'm an art quilter and a former custom picture framer, and, as my husband does photography, I tend to look at images in terms of both the positive and negative space around them. Your example makes perfect sense in terms of the sleeve at the top and the grommets for functional support. I'm seeing an image which has "weight" to it which is "floating" in space and needs to be anchored by pulling it down towards the bottom, such that there's less blue border at the bottom and more at the top.

I don't know the vocabulary of your discipline, so I don't know to express my ideas in your terms.

Thank you very much for showing me this example! I understand that each step adds time and expense. I'm really excited about my little banner/flag, and I'm thinking of other ways that they could be used.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Evidently, she wants this thing to be "bottom heavy". That's kind of a no-no in the sign world. Don't know about the quilting bee world, but her discipline needs to be answered in a harsh..... whatever you want lady, we'll do for ya !!! Sounds harmless, but the components for quilting are lot different than all the elements involved in composing a sign/banner/layout.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
my polite reply

"It’s common in this profession to divert from using true center if “visually” it looks “off”. Since the logo is bottom heavy it would appear, if perfectly centered, that it sits too low. The image given was set up at true center. I just bumped it up a bit. I wasn’t made aware that you wished it to be centered in that 4/5 area."

unclebun

Actually, I think on your proof the logo is too high, even if it is centered exactly. I think it would look better a little bit lower. Not as much as she asked for.

rossmosh

I'd simply say something along the lines of:

Hi, this is how we thought it should be done but we're happy to do it differently. If you'd like it done differently, please let us know specifically what you'd like done and we will send you a proof within XX hours.

Please keep in mind included in the price is X proofs. After that, it will be $XX per proof.

Thank you.

unclebun

And that is exactly my point. On your "bumped up" drawing, it looks too high to me. Personally, with a layout that is mostly negative space, my personal preference is to have a little more above the object. Also, even though you are defining the logo as "bottom heavy", the bottom consists of very fine lines, which from a distance, don't carry much weight compared to the cup, which is filled in thick and solid.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Seems the bigger issue is the text almost touching the sides of the banner - looks crammed into the space.

equippaint

Make 5 options with descending graphics. Pick which one. No need for all the words. Theyre paying for it. If they want a classically inspired quilt design on a banner, put the feather in your cap for the next weirdo that comes along and let it eat. People are weird, I could almost hear them saying what you posted.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
A common mistake is to look at a sign proof on white paper. Against a real backdrop of buildings, trees, cars, people, other signs, etc., that logo will be entirely lost. By the time you add adequate left and right margins, the logo will simply be too small to read.

I would consider just using the icon imagery, and using the text elsewhere, perhaps on a wall sign or window sign (maybe add "PIANO STUDIO" stacked below the mark). The vast majority of people visiting a business like this (piano lessons for children - hope the tea is decaffeinated), are not going to stop dead in their tracks and walk in to see what's up. Almost all their traffic will be destination driven; branding is still important but can be handled more subtly.

And that is exactly my point. On your "bumped up" drawing, it looks too high to me. Personally, with a layout that is mostly negative space, my personal preference is to have a little more above the object. Also, even though you are defining the logo as "bottom heavy", the bottom consists of very fine lines, which from a distance, don't carry much weight compared to the cup, which is filled in thick and solid.
The "bumped up" drawing would be considered by most people to look more centered than the drawing to the left of it (with more space at the top). I have never heard of anybody "preferring" top weighted framing, and most frame shops will add a bit of extra space on the bottom when a print or original work is matted into a frame.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I agree with kcollins, too small to see. Quilt viewing distance -vs- pole banner viewing distance.
Maybe pull the text down and then bump the logo up to fill more of the center. The cup will hold your attention long enough to draw you in to see what they are trying to sell.

tea-music-2.jpg

Vohaul

id make whatever is blue on the original logo white.....(ie text and cup...) as the blue is now the banner.....itll make the words and cup pop a bit more IMHO anyway....
also should see if you could stack the tea with music part......

The main problem i see is that you are trying to put a landscape logo on a portrait layout

Stacey K

I like making signs
I prefer it slightly lower. And I really like GACO5's layout. The words are lost because they are so fine. As he stated, the cup grabbed my attention and my eyes automatically went down to see what the cup was all about.