• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer provided decal kits

Signs Express

What is your shop's policy on installing stripe and decal kits that people purchase on the internet and bring to you to be installed?

We rarely see genuine auto manufacturer kits. They are almost always basic racing stripes cut from Oracal vinyl... Nothing we couldn't have produced ourselves.

the graphics co

we get these alot. Just price it as you would for installation only. Not a big deal, some people just like to buy their own kits or they have previously messed one up and need a professional to install them.

SignosaurusRex

NIKE® has the greatest tagline... JUST DO IT! If you don't, another shop or Body Shop will. :banghead: No warranties of any kind on product supplied by customer.

MikePro

+1. you're the pro, that's why they're coming to you.
install rate, no warranty on materials provided.

JMPrinting

Agreed, I charge my hourly shop rate and no guarantee on the vinyl. If you don't have a waiver made then make one. I get calendared vinyl stuff in people but on eBay that's junk. I tell them it's not for long term and it's all in the agreement. I'm in the fence about it, I know others will do it for them but do I want my name associated with it when their calendared vinyl peels off or fades in a year or two?

CanuckSigns

How would you handle any mistakes you make? Say the vinyl tore during install, do you offer to buy a new kit and fix it for them? What if in your opinion the fault is with the low quality vinyl?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We explain to them ahead of time that it is rare but something could go wrong on an installation which would damage a piece of material. If they buy it from us, our installer walks inside and we cut a new piece. If they do not buy it from us, tough luck. We will install it of course but no warranty at all on the materials, and while 99% of the time there will be no problems at all there are still no absolute guarantees.

WildWestDesigns

We explain to them ahead of time that it is rare but something could go wrong on an installation which would damage a piece of material. If they buy it from us, our installer walks inside and we cut a new piece. If they do not buy it from us, tough luck. We will install it of course but no warranty at all on the materials, and while 99% of the time there will be no problems at all there are still no absolute guarantees.

This is exactly how I do it for garments or embroidery files that are brought to me from customers. Same thing. If they buy all the inputs from me and something happens, they never know about it. All they see is the wonderful finished product. If they supply garments, files, whatever, they have to assume the risks, because in most instances, I have no idea where their inputs came from. Not the same in terms what goods are being talked about, but how to handle those situations are the same.

I would also suggest having a waiver signed. Not just have something on the counter talking about it, but something that they actually put their signature on, otherwise, it then becomes (s)he said - (s)he said and they can always claim that they didn't "see" the sign that mentioned the risks on the counter.

LarryB

I pass on this kind of work. Not worth the hassle. Not only do you have to worry about messing up their vinyl but also the customer who claims you scratched his paint job during the install. I'll let someone else have these problems.