• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Rude Behavior

cartoad

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this.
Had a customer come into the shop with some signs that they wanted to be recovered. Ok, we can do that, so generated a price for what they wanted done, and she had a fit! Thought we were way too high since she had purchased the signs from an internet provider for slightly more than we would charge to lay out, print and apply.
So far sounds familar huh? Well here is where it gets interesting...
She called her office for a phone number of another sign store and then called them from inside our store, at the counter! I just about died! Luckily no one else was in our store at the time, and didn't come in while she was on the phone! Apparently they were only a few dollars more than us. So at this point she said she was busy and had to run so left them with us to start layout.
Later that day she called and said not to continue yet. Checking with everyone else in town I guess. You just never know what each day will bring!

SqueeGee

Reminds me of the SNL sketches, "Two A-Holes go to a ______." In your case, the blank would be "Sign Shop".

iSign

I'd tell her the signs are by the curb & if she finishes being busy fast enough.. she might get there before today's trash pick-up

TheSnowman

Make sure to write up an invoice for "sign storage"
No kiddin there! People always drop their crap off to me, and then either don't come back by, or I forget to give it back to them when they pick up the new stuff, then it's my job to get rid of it.

weaselboogie

Apparently they were only a few dollars more than us. So at this point she said she was busy and had to run so left them with us to start layout.

That sounds like an order was already placed? I charge prorated for any projects that are changed or cancelled.

mark in tx

When she started talking to another shop inside your shop, is when you should have asked her to leave.
Some customers money is not worth it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most of the time when idiots like your customer come in and play games like that... I tell them to please pay in advance and we will start your order. Either SH$T or get off the pot. I ain't storing your signs for a week until you decide what to do.

If someone got on the phone in our hop and I heard them trying to negotiate, I would probably tell them to please leave and not look back and it's a shame that they didn't wait for me to give them their discounted rate and just cut the price in half and let them beg to have you do the work and tell them.... NO, not after the stunt you just pulled.

R08

Most of the time when idiots like your customer come in and play games like that... I tell them to please pay in advance and we will start your order. Either SH$T or get off the pot. I ain't storing your signs for a week until you decide what to do.

If someone got on the phone in our hop and I heard them trying to negotiate, I would probably tell them to please leave and not look back and it's a shame that they didn't wait for me to give them their discounted rate and just cut the price in half and let them beg to have you do the work and tell them.... NO, not after the stunt you just pulled.
:goodpost: Couldn't of said it any better.

Had one of these types on the phone with me a couple days ago. Simply told him I was too busy to see him. Don't need the agravation.

Besides, when a bad customer comes in like that, they ROB from you. They rob you of your time and peace of mind. Not worth it.

Si Allen

Sooner or later you will learn NOT TO WASTE YOUR TIME with this type of "customer" !!!!

Learn to recognize them early:

1st hint ... comes in with an "internet" sign

2nd hint ... wants it redone

3rd hint ... has a fit over the price

4th hint ... calls the office for another sign company's phone number

At that point you should have told her to leave and take the signs with her! Everything from there on ... is a waste of your time!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

copythat

Diito What Mark siad

I am just too busy to bother with these types of clients. We have codes when these type walk in. My CSR will give me a code like S1 for a reg. sign client or S2 for a PITA. This way if the s2 ask what does that mean I just say it"s for a potential sign client : ) This way if reg. price is $20 I come in at $45 Don't care what they say. When they say it's too high I say I don't work on price. I only serve quality & service.

sjm

I am just too busy to bother with these types of clients. We have codes when these type walk in. My CSR will give me a code like S1 for a reg. sign client or S2 for a PITA. This way if the s2 ask what does that mean I just say it"s for a potential sign client : ) This way if reg. price is $20 I come in at $45 Don't care what they say. When they say it's too high I say I don't work on price. I only serve quality & service.

I see your point but because we don't get walk in business, when a client does walk into our shop we do everything to close them.

I look at it this way I have to make 10-25 qualified calls for every single person that walks into our shop.

Mind you we deal primarily in non-retail.

RBDesign

You could light a fire under her by telling her you could stop production and store them for her at a $45 storage fee per day. Product will be released upon payment.

bet she will make a decision real quick.