• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Shout Out................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Didn't see this category, so I just invented it.

Okay, I've been one for a long time, telling people not to throw away customers and I usually come up with many reasons why not to, but I had one last week, actually almost 2 weeks ago that I just got a little tired of tiptoeing around.

We went into this vendor/customer deal about 10 or 11 years ago. We did some very nice jobs for them. Hand painted walls, some big signs and other things. In the last two years or so, the jobs have dwindled down to about zipp-O. The only ones we got were very low paying jobs. We'd bid on some nice jobs, kept our pricing where it had been to get the early ones, but things just never seemed to work out anymore. Abut a year ago, had a conversation with my 2 contacts and asked why we only got the little stuff and the big stuff was still being done, but not by us ?? Oh, the others are just bidding a little better than you. Yeah, right. On the $400 and $500 jobs, but not the jobs for $10,000 or $15,000. I asked about a very recent one and I was told, the other guy beat me by about $100....... on an $18,000 job. I told him point blank, I think someone is getting kickbacks. Man..... did he get all kindsa tongue-tied. He stammered out excuses and told me I'd get the next job. Well, the next one came and while it was for about $4,500, they gave me 2 PO's for it, but I bid one quote number. They didn't pay within the terms of our quote. Called their A/P department and got a song and dance of their payment methods. Whoa..... Nellie, we never agreed to these new terms. Got a partial payment, called and asked what was up and the A/P office said they only had a sign-off on 1 PO. Wha ?? Called Frank [my contact] and he said he'd have to check into it. It now seems if you don't have an invoice with an accompanying PO# in by the 5th of the month, it gets set aside til the end of that month and put in for payment after 30 more days. They can get as much as almost 60 days to make payment. Doesn't sound like a lot to some of you, but the terms were never such. We have no one with 60 day terms, let alone many at 30 days. Can we do it ?? Sure, but we discuss it first. They are doing business with us, so they either heed our terms or we give them a new quoting set up. Finally got paid and get a load of this........ they transposed some numbers and shortchanged us by like $383.00 or so. Had to wait almost another week for that mistake.

Had a request to quote again. Sent in the quote and didn't hear a thing. I raised the prices, changed my terms and in a most delightful way indicated we won't be doing business any longer, unless they meet our terms. fat chance of that.

:noway: So, I guess I am now guilty of 'FIRING A CUSTOMER'.​

At least you got money in the end. We go through these deals sometimes with companies that just go under and you will never see your money.

CanuckSigns

We had a similar situation a year or 2 ago, had a client who had us quote on jobs, but we only got the small jobs that were hardly profitable. I ended up calling them and told them I'm not interested in being her backup when her regular supplier won't make her 2 decals by the end of the day.

havnt heard from her since and couldn't be happier!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A recent turn of events..............

Well, I guess I didn't make myself clear to them..... or perhaps overly clear.

Got an e-mail from them Monday morning to quote a bunch of signs and banners. Gave the quote in our new format with them, they e-mailed back a PO and the next day, my contact said he'll have a check in hand when they pick up the signs.

Guess I didn't lose them afterall........................ :covereyes:

hahahaha try so hard to loose them and you can't get rid of them. Try everything to keep them and they still go to another company. If only there was an SOP for talking to customers.