Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Customer wants to see $1M proof of insurance for $48 banner

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Lucky Sky, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Lucky Sky

Lucky Sky New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    San Marcos, TX
    I received an email yesterday from a customer who needs proof of $1 million liability insurance before they will pay for a $48 banner that was ordered in May. ...REALLY? I'm not installing it and I know they price shopped me with some online options. My other option is to sign a waiver, which I haven't seen. Technically we have insurance, but I am in the middle of switching things up and I've only been asked for this from businesses where we are doing onsite installations.

I would love to hear some thoughts/suggestions.

2. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    for $48, i wouldn't bother with that client.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    You don't have to provide proof of insurance for the product, at least in most states. Labor is another story.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    if you did not install the banner you don;t need to provide any proof of insurance. Sounds like they are trying to wear you out in hopes you give up and they don't need to pay you.

Unless it's a construction company, they want proof of everything before they pay you, regardless of if you stepped foot on site or not.

Tell them your insurance company charges you $48 to get a clearance certificate made up and it needs to be paid in full before they run it :)

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    My first thought is - how did someone with a $48.00 bill get terms?
    My second thought - it's $48.........

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  6. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    kindly respond that you are not in the business for putting up your liability insurance for someone else's install.
    they ordered a banner, you provided it, and they can't add terms to a past due invoice.
    (also remind them of your policy of adding $20 for each month of past-due invoices, and $200 when it goes to collections at 90days, and see how they respond to not seeing those terms in your agreement)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    What size banner is $48?? a 1' x 6'? That's well below most minimum orders, especially ours

• Like Like x 2
  8. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    They probably ask every vendor just to make their annual audit go smoother and the person requesting has zero authority to determine who doesn't need one. Some people are the same with W9s.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    If they did not ask for it when they ordered... you are not required. If they did ask for it... byebye

10. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    $48 with terms??

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Walk away from it right now. You've already consumed more than that in extra stress.

JB

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MI Bearcat

MI Bearcat Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Canton, Michigan
    Doesn't make any sense and definitely don't sign anything. It's a banner. It's not structural so if it fails, so what? Exactly what are you liable for? What type of damages could it cause especially when your not installing it?

13. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario

We have some customers who have $25 invoices on terms, the people picking up the order don't always have a credit card they can use. I don't mind if they want me to bill them for $5, as long as they pay in the time they are given (net 15, net 30) I'm happy.

If you do business with pretty much any larger company you need to extend them at least net 30 or they will go somewhere else, the process for them to have payment ready on pickup isn't efficient for them and they will find someone else, often the person cutting you a cheque doesn't even work in the same province as the guy picking up the order.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Sometimes you just bite the bullet and do what the customer asks. Principles or not, Its not like you are being asked to donate a kidney.

15. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Well, it doesn't seem like a longtime good customer because this sounds like this is the first time they are getting paid...by asking for insurance.

16. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Or if you do donate your kidney, ask for more than $48 and cash up front.

17. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I like the customers that are a hassle to get setup with.. Remember that it's just as painful for them and you only have to do it once You can easily become their EASY button because they don't want to hassle with it either when they already have a go to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Ask them to return the banner and you will waive the $48 charge. Otherwise they are going to collections

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Simon Nussbaum

Simon Nussbaum Beautiful Signs for a Better Planet

Always think about the lifetime value of the client before you peev them off. I'm guessing you have $1MM umbrella anyhow, so you can send your copy and paste email to your insurance guy, they will send it direct to client, it takes 15 seconds. If they are being jerks that's different but many corporations require that sort of thing and they end of being the best clients.

20. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    You don't know what they are using it for. Maybe they are rolling up a dead body in it for burial in a shallow grave behind an abandoned building. In that case they would need to be sure it won't rot too quickly. I can see their point.

• Like Like x 1