• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer: "Where do you get your vinyl from?"

Ken1f

I had a racer order a set of RTA numbers from me last week. He asked where I get my vinyl as he wanted a roll to do some color change on the hood and fenders to match the numbers. I wouldn't tell him where I get it from but I did order a roll for him....just marked it up 100%.

signgal

Personally, I think I'd be cooperative but in a sly way.

Tell them you'd be happy to sell them the vinyl they need (to help them out).

When they screw up the job they'll be back and maybe this time they will ask you to cut it. Do so, but don't weed/tape (unless they specifically ask).

And do everything with a smile and say "always glad to help out" while taking their $$$.

Eventually you'll probably get the entire job.

+2

AND... ROFL @ BSnyder!!!!

We get this quite a bit... I tell them we're a franchise and buy from our franchise commissary LOL

Had a call yesterday...

customer: Do you sell those cheap plastic signs you stick in the ground?
me: *heavy sigh cuz I know what's comin* Sure we do!
customer: As cheap as those guys with all the little signs around town at the traffic lights?
me: NOPE!
customer: How come?
me: Because we don't sell cheap signs, only high quality products.
customer: So, I don't suppose you can give me the number for one of those other guys.
me: Why don't you get it off one of the millions of signs by the road?
customer: I'm not out and there aren't any around here... thanks for your time.

I just hafta laugh... I don't want those kinds of customers anyway!

Last edited:

Patrick46

One of my long time customers bought out one of his competitors (log trucking company).
The small family operation that they bought out had their very own, very old, Gerber 4-B (I think it is?) for doing their own truck lettering. (yes, you CAN imagine how sad their trucks looked...and these were NICE trucks at first.)

anyway, he wanted me to supply him with 'chrome' vinyl..... :covereyes:

Well, my customer called me about a week later and had me start a rotation for these 'new' trucks to get their old names changed out...by me. (hand lettered of course) :rock-n-roll:

I guess their having fun with their new 'toy'.
the mechanics are putting their names on their toolboxes and stuff.....but anything bigger?......forget it!!

StreamlineDesign

Ask him if he goes to restaurants and asks where they buy their meat from so he can get it there too. We too just tell people that our sign supplier only sells to sign shops - which they do.

TheSnowman

Tell him you have a reverend up the road that keeps ordering large quantity's of banners, but you don't have time to make them all, so he could recoop some costs by doing that.

I've had two people call for this info before, I wasn't ever there when they called. The secretary took their number and said that she would have me call back. Obviously...I didn't call back. I had to learn and research on my own to find the reliable vendors, and to find good pricing...I'm not just going to hand that over...especially when it's just shooting me in the back.

Marlene

never forget the just plain stupid factor that some people have. he most likely has no clue that asking your source is not cool. just tell him that your sources are for sign people only and to check on e-bay for vinyl as it some times shows up there and that is a place that anyone can buy from. if he gets nasty, so be it, he has no right to ask questions like that.