• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers really boil my blood

heyskull

I had a car dealership contact me for 2 site boards to be manufactured for a new site they are having built nearby.
The sizes of these are to be 30'x10' on wooden untreated posts with a from ground to top height of 14' with a full colour print of the site completed.
When I heard nothing back after 3 days I called back only to be told I was dreaming for how much I wanted for these site boards fitted!!!
I explained these were rather large for the propossed site and explained that maybe 10'x5' would be more appropriate. But still I was too expensive and 30'x10' had to be the size!!!!!
I came past the site on Sunday evening after being away camping for the weekend and the job has been erected.
Wait for this.........................
1 sign with 2off 2"'x2" wooden posts and a chipboard 8'x4' panel nailed to it!!!!!!
But it gets better.....LOL
In the middle of the 8'x4' panel is what looks like a 6'x3' 1/8" foam board nailed to it with 4 lines of basic vinyl letters.
I had to turn round and take another look:ROFLMAO:
It has obviously only been up since maybe friday night but is already leaning slightly over. I will be amazed if it is still there this morning as their was some very high winds last night.

Maybe I missed something in the original job description!!!!!!:covereyes::frustrated:

SC

SignosaurusRex

I guess they got what they paid for. Bright side.......your price just went up and is looking more and more reasonable every time they look at the sign they got.

CentralSigns

That sucks dude. Happens to me occasionally and I get just as disheartened. A photo shop decided to put up their own sign here just days after I told them how to do it in a job quote. Welcome to the new sign world, where everyone has a plotter in their basement.

Techman

no profile means lost job.,
if there was a profile for this job them you may not have mis bid it..

heyskull

I feel like going over taking a picture of what they have got (if it's still there after last night) and e-mailing what they got and what a 30'x10' would have looked like and just putting on the e-mail a question mark!
I dealt with this dealership about 12 years ago and they were always cutting corners and costs then and I guess nothings changed.
I just don't know what I was thinking they had.

SC

CentralSigns

You know if they are always cutting corners whats the point. Let them be judged by their public with the cheap sign they put up. If they are always cutting corners, then they aren't a customer you want to develop. They have been cheap for 10 yrs, then they will continue that way. Hold your ground and wait for them to come back, after they are embarrassed by their foolish sign, then stick it to them.

Dave Drane

I feel very sorry for you Heyskull. This is just the way things are going because there are way too many dicks out of their depth. Go and enjoy a game of golf while they drive themselves to the wall.

AUTO-FX

how about this. You go over there and you offer to fix the situation with a different sign, but it can be a cheaper alternative to your original quote. Let them know that had they been more flexible in the beginning, you could have offered them alternatives. Let them know that you understand the need to keep costs controlled and that you can provide them with respectable signage that wont present itself poorly. Here's your chance to be the hero. They may end up customers for life and you may earn there respect.

andy

"our cars are $hit and so is the service"

That's the first impression I'm getting... and that's just from a description. From the sounds of it NO sign would have been a better option than this bodged up piece of cr@p.

mark in tx

Car dealers are right up there with real estate agents in my book for being difficult and cheap customers.

When that cheap POS blows down and smacks into a car, they might re-think their bargain.

Jillbeans

I would love to see pix.
It's funny how once price comes up the client can quickly settle for a cheap piece of crap and change their entire order. Sounds like they were problematic anyway, you are more than likely better off without them.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

Auto FX is right
... This is a better chance to sell and up-sale and you get a a before and after for your sales ... you could not ask for a better deal ... work with them, show them a good fair price even against other bids .. your ability's and skills can sell this job and they will be customers for life.

Do not be I told ya so or negative just be cool

signgal

we get this A LOT! it's so frustrating too but i've learned that if they become willing to spend the money, they usually remember my professionalism and the offer to work on the "project" with them to get the cost down without sacrificing quality. I'm getting much better at getting a budget out of the client as well. I bet if you'd have been able to talk to them a little about price you would have been able to say, for that much you're looking at a 4x8 with one color cut lettering but i know how hard it is. half the time it's someone calling to get estimates to present to the higher ups... psh!