• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers will lie to you, just try and be smarter than them

visual800

Apporx 1 year a go a local shopping center had a flex face replaced in 6x15 sign. Soon after a bar moved in and contracted a sign to some guys I dont know. They went out and placed vinyl on top of the flex, intermediate vinyl at that. they charged $2000. The bar closed soon after

Fast forward to last week ANOTHER bar is moving into that location and called me to do these signs. I was contacted by a future waitress on facebook. She did mention "The owner already got a price" I asked who it was. She said she didnt know but they are the ones that originally did it and was referred to by the past bar owners.

Meanwhile the new owner called me, having not known I had spoke to waitress in depth. I went out and measured sign and tried to peel the vinyl off sign and discovered it was opage oracal 651 IMO. I knew right them it was a hopeless case to reuse the flex. I wasnt about to take these faces out and strip that vinyl off there was just as much adhesive left on it as vinyl coming off. I quoted 2 new faces double struck and I als0 quoted printed banners put in place also as he knew these would not be backlit, I emailed prices.

Owner called back and said that was too damn high he can get it done for $2000. I told him to go for it and I appreciate the chance to quote, I didnt skip a beat but was nice. This is one of those jobs you just cant wait to see what will become of it. it is a shame when price overrules common sense and appearance of the business.

Sometimes I miss the 80s and 90s

Pat Whatley

Since they aren't being backlit couldn't you just cover what's up there with a 6' x 15' decal? I mean come on, he's in the bar business in Montgomery....he'll be closed by spring.

Craig Sjoquist

I have a mental list of words people use with there actions when I am selling jobs, one of the best is.. you can TRUST me lol red flag goes up with neon lights.

Was just used the other week by a potential customer when it came to the layout, what they did not know I had two drawings, one showed what was just some simple improved changes they could do, the other was real changes real improvements, they would have seen if called back to do job.

There old sign was totally un-readable across the street & they knew it but was still usable shape in there eyes the reason I waited mostly, even though they spent prime money on repainting of building & redoing parking lot & drive & there customers are medium to large business.

Yes nickle wise dollar cheap.

& we are trying to earn the best for customers telling the truth but it may cost them more ..IF they do not listen to our advice