• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help cut being stretched from one edge

Koksan

Hello, after few years of using Roland sp540 V I have this issue that I am strugling with and I cannot fix.
For few weeks now when I try to print - cut stickers, the cut in the right site is perfect, but the cut in left side is about 5 mm to the left of the image.
I know its not from the encoder stip, but I still replaced it with a brand new and as expected - no result.
It doesn't matter if I print-cut 2 or 50 stickers. I am using the redpoint at the moment, but I need to fix this and save a lot of time with the crop marks. I checked and cleaned all sensors possible.
Even if I cut 2 small circles 1 in the begining of the media and another in the other end of it, the first is perfect, but the one on the left site is moved with abou 3-4 sometimes 5 mm to the left.
Thank you in advance

Koksan

Thank you for the youtube link, but unfortunately I tried this many times and it didn't fixed anything

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
Print and cut some squares with the cut line on the edge of the square. Make sure that you know the distance between the squares then measure to see if the print is moving or the cut is moving.

Koksan

good Idea, will try it in a minute
Ok, so the test I made was with two equal squares that I placed with 1000 mm between them. After the print-cut test I see that the squares are with a 998 mm distance, and the cut is 1000.
Any ideas what could cause this, encoder is new, he old had the samoe problem, the sensors are well cleaned? I tried to print an old file 600 mm wide and there was no problem with it, but when I use the print-cut option, it goes wrong

Last edited:

cornholio

Have you done the linear encoder setup?(best done, after the printer temperature has reached working temp for a while)

There is also a "Environment Match", for thermal deformation of the encoder strip in user mode.

Koksan

I have, yes. I also did the Env. Match many times, but this didn't changed anything. I am starting to tnink about physical problem with the printer, but nothing looks damaged or worn out

DL Signs

Never go against the family
When you did the env match, did you do the automatic, or the manual adjust? The automatic doesn't always do the job. Used to have to do the manual one on all the Rolands I've run in the past to get it right whenever it started deviating.

Koksan

When you did the env match, did you do the automatic, or the manual adjust? The automatic doesn't always do the job. Used to have to do the manual one on all the Rolands I've run in the past to get it right whenever it started deviating.
I tried both

Koksan

Sounds like the media is skewing possibly. Might need new pinch rollers.

Sounds absolutely logical, I was thinking about changing them soon anyway. Apparently the time has come, hopefully it turns out to be them and to solve my problem. Thank your the advice, I will order new ones today and will see if things goes well. I will update here for the result in both cases

cornholio

Env. match is always automatic. It syncronices the readings from the scan motor encoder with the linear encoder.

DL Signs

Env. match is always automatic. It syncronices the readings from the scan motor encoder with the linear encoder.
It's been years since I played with Rolands... I know that whenever the env match didn't work, or made it worse there was another one I did that printed a pattern, ran cuts on it , and you had to manually enter values. They probably were two different things, but I usually ended up doing both to get cuts back to normal, in my feeble old brain they were connected somehow.

Koksan

I have noticed that I often have the service call 0106 lately and I connect it with the print/cut problem. The small white teflon piece (printhead lock) is new - replaced, the encoder as well I do the ENV match everytime in order to fix it, but sometimes this doesnt do the job from the first try. Can it be some of the sensors?

DL Signs

I have noticed that I often have the service call 0106 lately and I connect it with the print/cut problem. The small white teflon piece (printhead lock) is new - replaced, the encoder as well I do the ENV match everytime in order to fix it, but sometimes this doesnt do the job from the first try. Can it be some of the sensors?
Make sure the scan cable, drum, scan motor motor are all running freely, not binding, no gunk on the drum, and that the carriage tool screw is tight and not allowing the tool to slip a little on the cable. Remember having that issue a couple times on an old SC540, if it's the same setup it just has one screw holding the tool to the cable.

Koksan

yeah, this was one of the first things I tried, remember having the same issues years before too on another Roland, but turned out one of the lock's screws was unscrewed and prevented locking so the head and the cut cartridge to separate, which obv. leads to the 106 error. Unfortunately this wasn't the case for my print-cut problem.
I followed Joe House's (comment above) and printed two squares with cut, turned out that not the cut, but the print causes the problem.
I think what the printer wneeds - full disasseble, to polish every part and check for any physical damages during the years of work. Not the first time I do this to a Roland (they all worked well after that), but I wanted to avoid it, since it will cost me a full weekend, and a lot of nerves... and coffee

Koksan

2 months later and I still have this issue unsolved. Any other Roland forums where I can ask for help?

damonCA21

It could be the cable is worn and stretching slightly. It has to move more weight when printing rather than just cutting where the heads detatch.
There is nothing software related that would make it print in the wrong place, so is most likely hardware, so I would be looking at replacing the cable

DL Signs

I hate issues that are so hard to correct...
Just throwing things out there... Have you done a crop mark sensor adjustment? There is also a separate tool/ crop mark sensor adjustment, and that one can throw print-cut positions off even when not using crop marks. There's also a crop mark sensor adjustment if it's only happening using crop marks. If it's that far off because of a stretched scan cable, I'd think you'd get some sort of other issue like vertical banding when printing too.