• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Contour Window Graphics Peeling

SLagunaHillsArt

Hi all, I am working with a new start up sign shop. We recently did a window graphic job for a client's front door at his store. It consisted of his logo and lettering. We printed with the HP Latex 365 on 3mIJ40c with a matte laminate. It was laminated very soon after being printed. The design was also cut contour, fairly simple not complex. White lettering was on the same material (although it was suggested we use 651).

The installers removed the previous graphic with goo-gone and cleaned the area with window cleaner and alcohol. Then, they towel dried the area. I am a bit unsure if they did all of these thing they said though. The install was dry, no wet application. About a week or less has gone by and the edges are curling/peeling.

I'm sure there may be some basics that we may have not followed or processes that were skipped so I definitely appreciate any help or even resources so that we can better educate ourselves. We are a new shop in need of some much needed learning! Thank you in advance!

Andy D

If there was graphics up there already, I doubt it's a coating on the glass issue.
My best guess is they skipped/slacked on the alcohol follow up.

They should have used a fresh cloth and gone over it as many times needed
so that all the oil was removed.

unclebun

Not enough Windex used to clean the window. Adhesive remover is oily and will prevent adhesion of vinyl. It takes a lot of soapy water or Windex to get it off.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
Was the print a full bleed? You said it was laminated very soon after printing. I have had curling when doing a full bleed
( or close to full bleed ) and then contour cutting too soon. Typically I like to let the print dry 12 - 24 hours.
The ink drying close to the edge of the print will cause curling. That is when you have to use registration marks and contour cut the following day.

Andy D

Typically I like to let the print dry 12 - 24 hours.
It's a latex printer, you can laminate those prints right away.
If the window had goo-gone and gooey adhesive, sometimes you have to clean it two or three times,
using a clean towel each time, or you're just spreading it around, not cleaning.
I prefer to use alcohol, I have heard of people having issues with window cleaners like windex.

SLagunaHillsArt

Was the print a full bleed? You said it was laminated very soon after printing. I have had curling when doing a full bleed
( or close to full bleed ) and then contour cutting too soon. Typically I like to let the print dry 12 - 24 hours.
The ink drying close to the edge of the print will cause curling. That is when you have to use registration marks and contour cut the following day.
We had a white border around the edge so no full bleed. I've looked into outgassing to see if we should have let it dry a bit longer but like Andy mentioned our latex printer can laminate right away. Which I was not really aware of so thank you!. It seems like it was a cleaning issue.