• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut how thin lines ?

mortil

was just thinking of a thing. how thin lines can you cut with your plotters ?
please also tell what plotter you have.

gnemmas

Our concern is not how thin plotter can cut, it is how thin the line will stay on to be practical.

If it is less than 1/16" we will not warranty the job.

Kottwitz-Graphics

was just thinking of a thing. how thin lines can you cut with your plotters ?
please also tell what plotter you have.

:help Its not really how thin a line that you can cut with a plotter, because at some point, is it weedable, and then, will it stay once applied.

If your looking for a good plotter, the question that needs to be asked is how dependable it is. Any name brand machine is a good investment.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If they're too thin, you won't have enough adhesive surface for proper adhesion on certain surfaces. Much under 1/8" is almost too thin for most anything being die-cut.

I must say though, that 15 years or so ago, we didn't have this problem. Things had better sticktoitness than they do today.

mortil

sorry guys forgot weeding. i have tried weeding a sticker today that at some places it is less then 1-2mm thick. and that f*cked everything up for me, Guess there is no idea on trying to weed out this kind of thin crap.

its some crappy wallart for a friend of my girl.

Kottwitz-Graphics

sorry guys forgot weeding. i have tried weeding a sticker today that at some places it is less then 1-2mm thick. and that f*cked everything up for me, Guess there is no idea on trying to weed out this kind of thin crap.

its some crappy wallart for a friend of my girl.

When you plot it, have the plotter do weed lines (just a line between each line of copy), then just go through, remove all the centers from the letters, and outside the border. Then mask it, flip it over, remove the backing and remove the background. The letters and border should stay on the application tape. Once finished, replace the backing and send it out.

natedawg9640

When you plot it, have the plotter do weed lines (just a line between each line of copy), then just go through, remove all the centers from the letters, and outside the border. Then mask it, flip it over, remove the backing and remove the background. The letters and border should stay on the application tape. Once finished, replace the backing and send it out.

good advice for intricate stuff. otherwise... for complicated small stuff. thermal print on clear.

mortil

so turn it over and then weed off all the other wierd parts ?

that one i will try :D sounds good.

itschillin

I agree any lines smaller than 1/16" is just not worth it. We use the Roland SolJet Pro V. When it comes to letters we wont cut smaller than 1".

mrfern

My wife loves Edwardian Font and that is a bear to weed especially when the sections are less the 2mm for the font lines. She was asked to weed her own decal and now she does not use fonts that are thin when she has me cut these orders she brings me... I have a Bobcat 24 in vinyl cutter - HEXIS ECO and SUP vinyl.:smile:

Craig Sjoquist

I have a cheap cutter ... the thin lettering or small lettering or line I weed very careful and slow very slow and extra time is taken to mount also about 1/16 line to 1/8 is tough to deal with and about 1/2 tall letters is the smallest so far I've done.

Sure wish I could afford a better cutter, but as of now no and only about 5% of my work is cut vinyl but growing.

mortil

I have a cheap cutter ... the thin lettering or small lettering or line I weed very careful and slow very slow and extra time is taken to mount also about 1/16 line to 1/8 is tough to deal with and about 1/2 tall letters is the smallest so far I've done.

Sure wish I could afford a better cutter, but as of now no and only about 5% of my work is cut vinyl but growing.

Got myself a cheap cutter too. always loved fixing with stickers and does it all the time at my regular job.

Mimaki seems nice for cutter.

MikePro

when my letters are too small to weed properly, i just cut a box around the lettering, weed the letter centers, and then weed the rest of the negative after applying the chunk of vinyl as a whole.