• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Letters not al Closing

paul luszcz

We're in the middle of cutting 1100 decals and cannot get our Roland cutter to cut perfectly.

We have a Roland Camm Jet Pro CJ 540 (which is the same as a Roland SJ-540 except for the ink) and a Roland Color RIP (made by Wasatch).

The first 500 decals cut perfectly (as the client demands). Later that same day the cuts looked terrible so we:

1. Put in a new blade.
2. Replaced the cutting strip with a new one.
3. cleaned the encoder strip, grit rollers and pinch rollers.
4. Checked and tweaked the offset.

In a particular oddity, the only letters that ever have a problem are the n's and a's. Only the n is bad in the photo attached. the first n was bad so I replaced it in the file with a copy of the second n. The first end looked good, so we ran 168 copies. Only to find now the second n was not closing properly. And about half the time, one or the other of the a's won't close properly either. The "h" and the "m" cut perfectly even though they appear identical in most respects to the n.

What do I do next?

This is for a luxury brand that requires they be perfect. I know this is pretty good, but I also now it's not perfect, as it was last Saturday.

Attachments

• nn.jpg
    nn.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 61

Ragnabrok

looks like media skew. pinch and grit rollers may be clean, but is the rubber on them soft, or are the springs pushing down with enough force? both those change over time.

An easy way to gauge if skew is the problem, make 0.75" circles, as many wide as the media allows, and 2 rows. should be around 100 on 48" vinyl. If the first few cut great, and it gets progressively worse as it goes on, the media is skewing.

S'N'S

Do you pull vinyl off the roll so that the machine doesn't have to pull it off the roll, if not, try pulling off the amount you need to cut.