• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut letters with pin mount file setup, help needed.

nucleus

Hi everyone I'm a cnc newb and I have a job that needs to be pin mounted, can someone tell me an efficient way to set up the file so the cnc cuts the letters and drills the holes for the pin mounts without going through the letters,

its 1/4" plexi-glass.

Thanks in advance.

J Hill Designs

it would entirely depend on your cnc software. for my basic software, set drill marks to new layer/group, tell that group to only drill a certain distance

GB2

Old Member
What router software are you using? Are you trying to set the file up for routing yourself or are you just preparing a file to be sent to someone else to rout? First of all the letters would be routed with the back side up, then simply set the proper depth for the drill points followed by a full depth cut path for the letters.

fixtureman

What router software are you using? Are you trying to set the file up for routing yourself or are you just preparing a file to be sent to someone else to rout? First of all the letters would be routed with the back side up, then simply set the proper depth for the drill points followed by a full depth cut path for the letters.

Then just run the drill program into a cardboad templete

nucleus

Thanks for the info guys I am actually doing it exactly the way GB2 suggested. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it by sending one profile. I use a precix controller and Vcarve pro 7.0 software.

Z SIGNS

Don't forget to mirror the drill pattern.

I prefer a rigid drill pattern over paper or cardboard less chance of drift especially on smaller letters.

It helps if you have a lot of duplicate letters to make sure their drill points are identical so when you go to install you don't have to sort them.

Be careful routing white plexi. The holes show up if you make them to deep

And yes you can combine toolpaths as long as it's the same bit unless you have a tool changer.

Hope this helps

Joe Crumley

Just wondering, isn't 1/4" plex a little thin to inset pins?

I almost always use the thickest scrap material in the shop for a pattern. Especially when drilling rough rock. That way the brill bit doesn't wonder off.

Joe

dmfahie

Joe. Not sure if this makes it right.... but we have gotten much .25" Acrylics from Gemini.... larger stuff... stud mounted... just threaded... no cams for the studs. Has worked out well for us... we now use the same method in the shop.