• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut or not to cut ??

Zazzess

Hi !!

I'm having a hard time doing my job perfectly and I'm wondering if they're
other options to cut my ''posters'' (if its the right word).

The paper I cut manually is a calendered vinyl...

A place it on a cut table when its done printing and then I place a drywall square that I stuck with etaux. I use a exacto knife...

My posters are longer than the table and the drywall square so its really hard for me to do it perfectly ...

Please help me :)

Why can't I cut it with Rolland ?

How can I make it easier ?

Thanks for your support !!

Zazz :U Rock:

Zazzess

Its a VersaCamm 300i ...

Its a VersaCamm 300i ...

My boss says it can't cut the posters...

Is there any machine that can do it ?

It really important for me that the job is well done...

And cutting this is really not what a prefer in my job.

Please Help

J Hill Designs

does your VC300i have perf cut option? (that gives a perforation cut through the backing paper -- to utilize, create a 2nd cutline named PerfCutContour)

not sure, but may help -- otherwise, xacto...sry

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How many do you need cut and what is the finished size ??

Is this a once and done order or so you run into this problem routinely with other customers ??

Zazzess

Oh thanks for your support !!

I have 3 banners: 86 in / 27.7 in... for today.

It's an order that I usually have with the same customer.

(The artwork changes)

I'll check for the perf cut option but I almost sure we don't have it ...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your boss is gonna have to splurge a little... but in business, you have to have the tools you need in order to function.

• You really need to either buy a table or build one and make sure it's at least 8' long.
  • Buy a straight edge that is truly straight. [preferably one with a gripping underside]
  • Buy some various knives and tools for cutting various substrates.
Otherwise, get a Keen or Fletcher cutter setup. We have both and they are amazing.

Tony McD

I'm confused...are you cutting paper, vinyl, or banner material?

Wouldn't try cutting banner material, to heavy.

You could cut paper, but it would probably chew up your cutting strip,
and wear out the blade holder and blades fairly fast.

Vinyl shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 4x8 table with a cutting mat with the grid. The grid really helps
cutting things out with a straight edge.

Zazzess

Your boss is gonna have to splurge a little... but in business, you have to have the tools you need in order to function.

• You really need to either buy a table or build one and make sure it's at least 8' long.
  • Buy a straight edge that is truly straight. [preferably one with a gripping underside]
Otherwise, get a Keen or Fletcher cutter setup. We have both and they are amazing.

Thank you so much ! Exactly the kind of information I needed :D
You're amazing :)

:U Rock::thankyou::goodpost:

Zazzess

Thanks for your help !!

I'm confused...are you cutting paper, vinyl, or banner material?

Wouldn't try cutting banner material, to heavy.

You could cut paper, but it would probably chew up your cutting strip,
and wear out the blade holder and blades fairly fast.

Vinyl shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 4x8 table with a cutting mat with the grid. The grid really helps
cutting things out with a straight edge.

Its a vinyl called ''matte calendered vinyl ''.

I really appreciate your help. :cool1:

sfr table hockey

Not sure if this will help or not but when you set up your file, have your reference cut line every couple of feet on the outside edge of the print so that you can just use the straight edge and line up on the inside edge of those reference lines. So actually print where you want to cut. The only reason I don't use a solid rectangle line is that the printer takes longer to print if you have white space in the image and a dot only needs to be placed every few feet depending on how long your straight edge is. Cutting the edges of 10 and 12 foot long media is not as hard when you have the dots to line up with.

- - - - -
|........|

|....... |
- - - - -

Zazzess

More info for Keen or Fletcher cutter setup

I'm looking for more info on Keen or Fletcher cutter setup.
If you have some I'd really appreciate.

Tks again :)

Zazzess

Yess !! It helps :)

Not sure if this will help or not but when you set up your file, have your reference cut line every couple of feet on the outside edge of the print so that you can just use the straight edge and line up on the inside edge of those reference lines. So actually print where you want to cut. The only reason I don't use a solid rectangle line is that the printer takes longer to print if you have white space in the image and a dot only needs to be placed every few feet depending on how long your straight edge is. Cutting the edges of 10 and 12 foot long media is not as hard when you have the dots to line up with.

- - - - -
|........|

|....... |
- - - - -

Yess !! It helps :) :goodpost::thankyou:

Sticky Signs

Yup, your boss needs to buy you a big enough table. At least 8 -10' long and little bit wider than your media. IE, if you have a 54" printer, you should have at least a 55" wide table. I use tempered glass for my table top. I like it a lot but I'm sure others don't. Cutting matts also work very well. You can also buy a great little tool called "Image Edge" http://www.imageedge.com/. All Graphic Supplies used to sell them, not sure if they do anymore. I always put a 0.25 pt rectangle on prints that are mostly white. I know it takes a little longer to print, but it also helps the the areas with ink coverage dry properly.

you can create a cut line in illistrator(if your using illy) and using your profile in versaworks you can have the printer cut out the poster for you.
i had for about 8 months a 5 foot x 3 foot table and a 6 foot straight edge metal ruler. it was a right pain because we do alot fo bigger items such as 6 ft and 8 ft banners etc so they never fit on the table. i went out and got a 8ft x 4ft table top and a 8ft x 4ft cutting mat as well. i also have a 8ft metal ruler.
tell your boss in order for you to work correctly, faster and more effeciently you need at least some decent basic tools.

Zazzess

Thank you so much

Yup, your boss needs to buy you a big enough table. At least 8 -10' long and little bit wider than your media. IE, if you have a 54" printer, you should have at least a 55" wide table. I use tempered glass for my table top. I like it a lot but I'm sure others don't. Cutting matts also work very well. You can also buy a great little tool called "Image Edge" http://www.imageedge.com/. All Graphic Supplies used to sell them, not sure if they do anymore. I always put a 0.25 pt rectangle on prints that are mostly white. I know it takes a little longer to print, but it also helps the the areas with ink coverage dry properly.

:thankyou: It really helps :goodpost: