• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Pressure

Hey All,

I have a question about cut pressure, when I am cutting vinyl decal I usually try to have just enough blade to make sure it does not cut the backing paper and my cut pressure will usually vary depending on how new the blade is. What my question is do I want to keep my cut pressure as low as possible or max it out? or do I just vary it for every cut so it works?

unclebun

You want to set the cut pressure as low as you can and still get complete cutting that is easy to weed. We typically have one setting for cast vinyl and another for calendared, with a difference of 2-3 grams of force. As the blade ages you will have to go up a gram at a time, but by the time you've made that adjustment 2 or 3 times, the blade will be so worn it will have start-stop point problems or corner problems and need to be replaced.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Hey All,

I have a question about cut pressure, when I am cutting vinyl decal I usually try to have just enough blade to make sure it does not cut the backing paper and my cut pressure will usually vary depending on how new the blade is. What my question is do I want to keep my cut pressure as low as possible or max it out? or do I just vary it for every cut so it works?
It's best to do test cuts every time. Depending on the plotter, you may want to test all the way across for hot spots. I have a Roland GR (I do NOT recommend this machine) and it's terribly inconsistent. I'll test all the way across the media, all is good. Then when I cut something big (like 6ft long) it will, in random places, cut right through the liner. It really ticks me off. So it's best to test, even if you know you are dealing with inconsistencies. I try to use the minimum force possible.

rjssigns

Use quality blades. When I set pressure I not only see how easy the vinyl weeds but look for welts on the backing paper.(learned the welt thing from Summa) If you see welts there's too much pressure. This leads to the dreaded fuzzies when you peel the vinyl from the backing as it lifts the first layer of paper.