• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut the seams on a large graphic on a trailer?

Andy D

I'm putting graphics on an old trailer and it has flat sheets of steel butted up edge to edge with 1/8" gap
filled in with some type of caulk, no rivets or weld.
I haven't done a whole lot of trailers but I have been told in the past to cut the vinyl graphics at seams, so that down the
road the graphics don't "tunnel", allowing water and trash behind them.

What do ya'll do?

ikarasu

Cut every seem otherwise there will be a failure. 3M actually voids any warranty if a seem isn't cut... It not only.tunnels and allows water, but in winter when it's cold vinyl is brittle. So if there's a space behind from air or something else it'll start to Crack and eventually ruin the whole panel.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Primer doesn't solve all the other problems... The biggest issue is panel flex going down the road and seasonal expansion/contraction you must cut any transition of panels on any mobile object. If this trailer was permanently mounted to the ground in a conditioned environment you could get away with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're most lilely gonna hafta cut back to where there's no caulk or whatever they used. I believe it's a type of Silicon adhesive. You might have at least an 1/8" gap or whatever the division is in each panel. Be sure to keep that in mind when placing elements in the design.