• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Thick vinyl, how?

Versus

Graphics
Hi

Im wondering how its possible to cut Thick vinyl on my Summa cut t140.
It always stracthes the surface of stuff like 12 mil laminate and 3M carbon. Its
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Rooster

You need to flatten out the media transport path so it doesn't drape over the front and rear of the machine.

I suspect your media is doing the same thing mine was with thicker materials and it's buckling and causing the media to rise up between the feed wheels where the knife makes contact as it move from one cut to the next.

I moved a couple of tables to the front and rear of the machine so it kept the media flat and it solved the issue for me. You can also buy additional feed wheels for the machine. My local tech told me that Summa says you can have as many feed wheels as there is positions for them on your unit. If you're doing rolls at a time this may be the way to go.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Oddly I've not had to deal with contour cutting extra thick stuff in a year or so and had to do some vinyl laminated with some heavy polycabonate laminate on it today and ran into the exact same issue on my Summa. Nothing to do with the cutter really - as soon as it started measuring the material and I heard the knfie dragging across and ruining one of the first prints I knew what was happening. :doh: Stopped it - put tables in front and behind the machine to support the material flat and ran on with no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 124

BadAss

Flex_cut is the new option on Summas to perf cut all the way through the media and the backing in order to have a complete contour cut decal. It only works through Summas Winplot. There is no feature to do this this that I have found in Flexi. But I have only had the summa with Flex-Cut for a month...M*

Rooster

Flex_cut is the new option on Summas to perf cut all the way through the media and the backing in order to have a complete contour cut decal. It only works through Summas Winplot. There is no feature to do this this that I have found in Flexi. But I have only had the summa with Flex-Cut for a month...M*

Aaah yes, I remember now.

I use wasatch and it's a feature I can use if I upgrade to their latest version. From what I've been told about it, it's kind of useless. I can see it destroying sheets as once you cut through the backing the sheet loses all it's structural rigidity.

On a flatbed cutter it would be awesome, but on a cutter that has to move the sheet back and forth across the cutting plane it could cause some serious headaches. There's been times where I've forgotten to adjust the cutting pressure and had the machine cut through the backing paper on a simple radius corner cut. It never turned out well. It can't be much of a time saver if you still have to rip the perfs apart. Between the set-up and tearing of the perfs I'll bet I can trim them out just as fast with a straight edge.

LittleSnakey

We had this issue also, adding pinch rollers is real expensive and only can be done at the factory. Tech told us to take blade out when first loading media, that obviously works. We have also found another solution that is to put the second pinch roller all in the same area as the far right position that has the first pinch roller as far to the left as you can. This is in line with where the blade moves back and forth when the media loads.