• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut-Through Plotter? from a Noob

chopper

this is what you do, set your blade to cut just thru the vinyl and paper,
back it up with a few layers of transfer tape (as stated by designsbymtm) and use a 60 degree blade do a few test cuts on scrap peices till you get it right
you will need several blades this is very hard on blades they are not ment to cut thru the paper and it dulls them quickly. also as stated earlier when you are cutting out printed designs you will need to have registation marks that the plotter can read and cut from.. also I do not understand why you would want to do this, I would cut them out as reguar decals weed them and use a paper cutter to cut the images apart unless it is a big issue that some of the release liner is visable???

sorry guys if this makes any of you mad I am just trying to help at least he is not doing anything immoral or illegal if you do not understand call me
612-839-8077 I will try to help you .... chopper

GB2

Old Member
Hey Jeff....check your PM....would you mind giving a little detailed info on how easily the decal, back slit, and kiss cuts can be accomplished on an Envision?....thanks!

Howard Keiper

Actually, it's way easy..

ALL Graphtec FC7000XX machines have a standard feature called "PREF LINE TYPE"...probably a misspelling of PERF LINE TYPE, but no matter. It is a feature created specifically for the garment industry to cut patterns in thick stencil materials similat to oaktag. With the feature invoked, you can easily cut through vinyl and backing in a manner that produces a "pop-out" decal...some call 'die-cut', or 'kiss-cut' or whatever. It's one of those neat, sometimes hidden things the 7000 is capable of.

Howard Keiper

Flame

Howard Keiper said:
Actually, it's way easy..

ALL Graphtec FC7000XX machines have a standard feature called "PREF LINE TYPE"...probably a misspelling of PERF LINE TYPE, but no matter. It is a feature created specifically for the garment industry to cut patterns in thick stencil materials similat to oaktag. With the feature invoked, you can easily cut through vinyl and backing in a manner that produces a "pop-out" decal...some call 'die-cut', or 'kiss-cut' or whatever. It's one of those neat, sometimes hidden things the 7000 is capable of.

Howard Keiper

First off... what's the XX part? I've never seen that before on a Graphtec...?

Secondly... how do you enable this option then? I think everyone would like to know.

:thankyou:

Howard Keiper

XX....easier than writing 7000-75; -100; -130, etc.

Put the machine in PAUSE (Menu button)
NEXT acouple of times until you can select FUNCTION 1...do so.
Select PREF LINE TYPE
If you have been cutting normally, Pref Line Type is set at OFF.... It has a range of OFF through 7. Use the UP arrow to change the value to 4 for starters. The range controls the ratio of cut to space...experiment. The lower numbers produce a finer cut.
Go to the TEST button and select BLADE ADJUST and follow the instructions to set the blade extension to the thickness of the material you want to cut.
Depending on the kind of material, you will probably have to set the FORCE to 25-28 or so; yes, even for the CB-09 blade.
This is an operation that requires a bit of patience at first, but when you see what's going on, you'll be amazed.

hk

Howard Keiper

XX....easier than writing 7000-75; -100; -130, etc.

Put the machine in PAUSE (Menu button)
NEXT acouple of times until you can select FUNCTION 1...do so.
Select PREF LINE TYPE
If you have been cutting normally, Pref Line Type is set at OFF.... It has a range of OFF through 7. Use the UP arrow to change the value to 4 for starters. The range controls the ratio of cut to space...experiment. The lower numbers produce a finer cut.
Go to the TEST button and select BLADE ADJUST and follow the instructions to set the blade extension to the thickness of the material you want to cut.
Depending on the kind of material, you will probably have to set the FORCE to 25-28 or so; yes, even for the CB-09 blade.
This is an operation that requires a bit of patience at first, but when you see what's going on, you'll be amazed.

hk

DE

Wow, it's been a while since I checked here, and it looks like I opened a can of worms, and that is good. Anyhow again I'm impressed with people sharing some ideas and techniques. I understand this is a forum for Sign makers however and this post might not have fit in properly with people who have no time for experimenting and or have to stick to what they know to get their work and jobs done.

That being said I bought a plotter cutter, a Roland GX-24 with Optical registration sensor. I'm bummed out because I haven't had a chance to even set it up yet as I have been screen printing t-shirts like mad over here.

Some people asked as to why I'm screen printing this project, basically it comes down to two reasons:
1. I am using all spot colors including flourescent inks.
2. I do not have a solvent based inkjet printer.
3. (bonus answer) Although I love technology and the advancements in the printing world, I find it rewarding to use traditional methods and the art of screen printing to get things done.

Some people asked as to why I am trying to cut through the release liner as well and here is that answer:
1. Forget about making circles and squares that is not my application or finished product, I need to make unique contoured shapes in various sizes and obviously different custom shapes that are not square or round but more complex curves.
2. The items being cut through are a finished product and the release liner needs to be cut in the same shape as the vinyl even though the release liner will be peeled off and thrown away, but as I said it is a finished product and would look much better than some nice pice of contoured cut vinyl and a big ol' square release liner.

Understand that I am not a full blown running business that is hustling for clients. I work with some of the most creative people I have ever met, from various artists to various manufactures. Most of the jobs I deal with are project oriented and I'm involved either with my printing abilities, artist abilites and knowledge of manufacturing.

Thanks again for the great Forum.:thumb:

-DE

Donny7833

Half Cuts

Mimaki CG cutters as well as the higher level Summa cutters both support a "half cut" option. I had it demonstrated to me at the Summa booth during the 06 ISA show. Pretty slick feature. Weed it and punch out the individuals. Not a super clean edge, but I can still see where it would come in handy.

Donny

sameeee

I have the craft robo and yes it does crafts but you can do so much more with it, it is made for die-cuting as well as cutting vinyl. you use a Carrier sheet
What is a carrier sheet? A carrier sheet is for cutting anything that doesn't have a release liner. Vinyl cutters are typically designed to cut only media (vinyl) with a release liner. The cutter blade cuts through the top layer of the vinyl and adhesive but does not cut all the way through penetrating the liner. If the blade were to cut through the liner, eventually there would be damage to the teflon strip. The strip would become scarred and uneven and there would no longer be a flat surface under the vinyl. This would make the depth of the cuts inconsistent.

Yet obviously, to cut paper and cardstock, the blade must cut all the way through the material. To accomplish this without damaging the teflon strip, the Craft ROBO comes with a patented Graphtec carrier sheet. The user places paper or cardstock even vinyl on the carrier sheet (which is coated with a low tack adhesive) to hold it in place. This enables the user to cut without damaging or scarring the cutter protection strip. and for the price ya can't beat it,

I use the craft robo for my small stuff and a 24in plotter for the larger vinyl cutting. saves ware on the larger plotter
Walk in Beauty
Sameeee^i^