• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut to print alignment on SP300? Off a bit

MichaelS

Hi, My SP300 prints great but the contour cut is off by about a 16th of an inch, not a problem on large graphics but small stuff it really stands out. I adjusted manually using the test pattern in the print-cut adjust menu but it made no change. Then under cutting adjust in the calibration menu I set the values to zero as it tells me in the manual, still no change. It has done this for a long time and I would like to get it straightened out if I can. Any ideas?? Thanks

-Michael
ps, this is with laminated prints using the registration marks, it is worse with un-laminated print and cut.

splizaat

is it equally off across the entire sheet from side to side (across the entire 30" width)? or is it progressively off towards one side or the other, or even towards the center?

Try cleaning the encoder strip with rubbing alcohol on a clean swab. Swipe one way along the front, then do it again on the back side of the strip. throw it away and do it again....

You may also want to try aligning using the service menu...the alignment tool in user mode is useless.

Also - what is your cutting SPEED at? Our cuts were off worse and worse the longer the sheet was, slowed the cutting speed down BIG TIME (to like 13cm/s i think, not in front of my machine right now) and all the sudden the cuts were 99% accurate. Cutting at full speed will not be accurate.

MichaelS

Thanks for the reply. I have cleaned the encoder strip recently. The cut is off about the same all the way across. I will try the service menu if I can get into it. thanks

splizaat

Karyn -- I don't turn heat off to print/cut with or without lamination. My heaters stay on and my cut is near perfect all the time....Cut SPEED was 95% of my problem. Turn it down to 12-15cm/s and see how much more accurate it is.

If that doesn't work on it's own...use the service mode alignment. I've used the user mode cut alignment menu and i could hit test cut twice and get different results both times.

MichaelS

I have my heat on for drying only, I'm not sure why but I don't think that is the real problem. My cut speed is set to 10cm/sec I just checked it.
I got into the service mode but I need to print a page from the manual to set it correctly. I notice some of the modes have an auto feature, do you recommend using the auto features like calibration etc?

KARYN BUSH

wow really...so you always cut with heat? My machine doesn't cut well with the heat on...it cuts too deep and it ends up off....but I have a 54" and its almost 7 years old...so maybe they've changed things. I'm always amazed how spot on it cuts even after lamination...love this machine!

splizaat

Yes i always cut with heat...on my 30" and spot on every time...with or without lamination. I still don't understand how it reads four circles and figures out where to cut lol.

Michael -- another thing I TOTALLY spaced. Turn your printer on, goto the regular menu and scroll through until it says something like "Environmental Match" or "Env. Match" and hit enter....it never hurts to do this every once in a while. I do it on mine all the time - especially if it's cold one day and hot another. This is HUGE in calibration too. Try that as well before you start messing with manual calibration too much.