• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cut vinyl on wall need help!

james2

Client looking to put a cut vinyl design on a wall.
I was hoping that I could get away with Oracal 651 but when I try and pull off the transfer tape, most of the vinyl wants to go with it.
Can someone suggest the right vinyl to use (maybe something with a little more agressive adhesive) and what kind of paint the walls should have?

thx

Salmoneye

Low tack transfer tape? I have not tried it but I would imagine that the thinner cast would conform better to the wall as well.

Skye

Avery / Oracal

we have done a few.
first step is to buy proper vinyl.
i know oracal says some of their vinyl will work but they have guidlines.
do not print solid coverage.
do not print to edge. etc..
avery and oracal make a wall vinyl 6mil.
both removable, but avery has more glue on back.
you need to print and if solid coverage or full bleed you need to out gas 72hrs (oracal has a pdf stating this) before you cut the vinyl.
then use a low tack premask.
the wall has to been painted for at least 1 month prior to install. does not stick to matte paint very will but you can use a little heat to help. we used a rag or a rolle pro after the mask is off and you still find bubbles.

Mosh

Drywall? Texutred? Peel the tape SLOW and back on itself. We tear the tape and only pull off 2" stirps at a time. After it is all off be sure to go over everything with a felt squeegie. Going slow is the key. Tear the tape in small peices when taking it off, it takes 3 times as long, so be sure to charge for it.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
the vinyl never seems to stick. I made a few things for the house and it took forever to get it to lay down. one was placed on a stained solid wood interior door and the other on my laudry room's painted drywall.

in the Oracal sample card they suggest a specific application tape but I can't seem to find it anywhere. it's not in the fellers catalog that I can see but maybe I should just call them.

are you using 651 or 631 exhibition vinyl with removable adhesive (just noticed you said 651 in the post)? i'm talking about 631 which is made for interior applications and it's a PITA. Oracal recommends ORATape HT55 which I don't have on hand.

Does anyone know where I can get a roll of HT55?

G-Artist

The other day the wife asked me about wall graphics.

I did a few searches.

Interesting that one site that sells to the end consumer stated that their product would
work on flat, matte and semi-gloss but to never use it on gloss nor on any surface painted
with Behr paint.

mikey-Oh

found that if i spray a little rapid-tac on the mask and rub it in, the mask frees from the vinyl easier. though if i let it set too long, the adhesive will separate from the mask and it gets all boogery :(

james2

I was just told to use oracal 341 and a low tac transferite transfer tape.
Also make sure the paint used is an enamel base with a matte finish.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you use a regular squeegee on the install, it won't flex into the orange peel textrue of the paint. If you use a rivet brush to burnish it in afterwords it helps alot. The brush pushes it into the low spots. I used to do alot of art gallerys and we use cast vinyl so it would conform a little better (they were willing to pay for the best). And, as others have said peel the mask at 180 degrees.

petrosgraphics

use a spray bottle with plain water in it after you have applied the vinyl, do not use to much water, no spray bottle, a damp rag to wet the transfer works also... just remove
slowly... this has always worked for me...

Sticky Signs

The wall has to be clean and dust free and must be painted with something other than matt paint. Preferably a semi-gloss or gloss. I just did some tests with oracals 3628 movable wall graphic. it failed miserably. It all curled within a day. cut one to the edge of print and left one with a white border. The white border was surprisingly worse...