• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Vinyl on Wood - Outdoors

H&H Group

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice/experiences from anyone who has experience with putting cut vinyl onto a wooden sign for outdoor use.
We have a 6' x 4' piece of cedar that the customer wants cut vinyl lettering/logos on.
Our plan is to use Thompson clear water sealer to seal the entire piece. Then we will use 3M IJ35C permanent vinyl on top. Then we figure we'd do a layer of liquid laminate on top of that.
I know in 3M's graphic application guide recommends wood to be painted and primed but the customer wants the natural wood look, hence the clear Thompson water sealer. Has anyone done something similar? Will the vinyl stick to the wood with the water sealer on?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Billct2

Natural wood is always a problem outside and I don't see how vinyl could be applied without a hard coat finish like varnish.
And if that's the way they go it will likely fail within a few years, varnished wood needs constant upkeep.
The best luck I've had is with a two part clear marine finish.