• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Vinyl vs Print & Cut

Tagdog

Being new to this business I was not around when cutters were all that was available. I understand that a lot of stuff can be done by layering different colored vinyl but now it is so easy to just print everything and then cut it out. But what about lettering? If someone wants some colored lettering, is it easier to print the color on white vinyl and then cut it out as opposed to keeping a lot of colored vinyl in stock. What are the pros and cons of each process?
What about lamination? How important is laminating on vehicle lettering? I have a Summa DC4 and Summa claims 5 years without Lam.
The easiest thing would be for me to print the letters and cut them out, but am I asking for trouble?

Signs Up

Idea Design

Cost for startup is absolutely the most important factor in your questions.

I bought my first cutter (Graphtec CE3000-60 24") and some supplies for somewhere around $1900.

To get into the print-cut game, you are looking at significantly more of an investment than that. Most will tell you between $20K and $30K to start.

There's nothing wrong with cutting and layering different colors to achieve the desired look, but the time spent in production (and install) is way longer. It is, however, a good way to start and learn the business, learn how to install, etc.

Best of luck.

Tagdog

Maybe I was not clear. I have a print & Cut. My Summa DC4 prints & cuts. I do not have a stand alone cutter. Is there a need for one?
Do I need to laminate vehicle lettering that I produce with my print and cut?

Thanks
Signs Up

signage

Any printing going onto a vehicle should be laminated to protect from cleaning/abrasion.
Cut vinyl doesn't need laminated and would most likely last longer!