• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CutContour in VersaWorks - shape only

PixelGrafix

I'm working in illustrator - attempting to cut out a shape. I have the shape and it's filled with white, and outlined with CutContour. Put when import into VersaWorks all i see is a big old white sheet. Usually, at this point, after i say, CUT ONLY, i'll see the marching ants - nada, zip. Any ideas of what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Mary

crny1

What size stroke are you using for the cut contour?
Is the color setup correct? Spelled correct? Set as spot color?

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
What size stroke are you using for the cut contour?
Is the color setup correct? Spelled correct? Set as spot color?

This. CutContour at 1/2 pt as a spot color.

AI is a horrible program for the sign industry. Switch to Corel.

Respectfully and strongly disagree, Illy and Corel both have strong points and weaknesses IMO but to call it "horrible" is a stretch for me, all about your comfort zone.

ams

This. CutContour at 1/2 pt as a spot color.

Respectfully and strongly disagree, Illy and Corel both have strong points and weaknesses IMO but to call it "horrible" is a stretch for me, all about your comfort zone.

Well it's in my opinion. I don't think I've received a single piece of artwork that imported correctly, even converted to outlines and flattened. Also Versaworks hates AI files.
It's more of a layer issue that is the problem.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Just because you don't know how to run a program(AI), don't hate on it.

Also, VersaWorks hates AI, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SUPPORT THE FILE TYPE.

rjssigns

CutContours from Ai. No point to "fill" them. Just send a 100% magenta one point stroke as a PDF. EPS works well also.

Tip of the Day: If the letter "A" doesn't show up when sending a PDF to VW burn a PostScript file from Acrobat. Works every time. VW loves PostScript files.

oksigns

I'm working in illustrator - attempting to cut out a shape. I have the shape and it's filled with white, and outlined with CutContour. Put when import into VersaWorks all i see is a big old white sheet. Usually, at this point, after i say, CUT ONLY, i'll see the marching ants - nada, zip. Any ideas of what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Mary

I'll give you a caveat, that if you have live styles like drop shadows or any kind of transparency effect, it will most likely break VW's ability to read spot colors associated with cutting.

TimToad

100% magenta, spot color, swatch saved as CutContour, .25 point stroke, 1 limit. If that doesn't work make sure your cut contour is the highest layer or object. If saving as .eps, we save at highest resolution and that never fails.

Yes, the freaking premier computerized drawing, vector and all around best software program for the creative arts is killing the sign business. Sheeesh.

I guess that's why every employee we have ever had who insists on working mostly in CorelCrap gets to go home at 5 and I end up being here until 6:30 every night tweaking their files in order for them look and print right.

toomeycustoms

Make sure to flatten transparency on the object if there are any gradients. Also make sure that the stroke is set to "align center". I've found out that aligning the stroke to the inside or outside makes it invisible to Versaworks.

fastmax

Just because you don't know how to run a program(AI), don't hate on it.

Also, VersaWorks hates AI, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SUPPORT THE FILE TYPE.

exactly, i was going to ask what you were saving your file out as, i usually have the best luck with pdf files.

that said is your cut line a stroke with a white filled box? i keep my contour cut lines on there own, so it should be only a stroke with no fill, that might be where the program is getting confused.

good luck

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I throw .eps files at VW from Illy normally, biggest tell on whether you will loose a properly set up cut file is if the "Custom" box is clickable. If it is then the "Turn strokes to outlines" is defaulted on and needs to be unchecked. 9 times out of 10 this works for me. The center stroke thing has bitten me on customer supplied files before as well.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 11.35.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 11.35.25 AM.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 11.35.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 11.35.35 AM.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 294