Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CutContour Lines

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Anastasi55, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    I'm learning and practicing more each day with our new equipment (SureColor S60600 and Graphtec cutter)... I think I have the basics of setting up CutContour layers, spot colors, making sure my print file isn't too wide for the sample media we were provided, and I've gotten good kiss cuts and perforation cuts. Now, my co-worker is asking for cutting to be done on her posters - simple rectangular perforation cuts. Since I have Conditions on the cutter that correspond to a kiss cut and perforation cut (Condition 1 = CutContour, Condition 2 = CutContour2), should she just set up her cut line as CutContour2 to match Condition2, i.e., the perforation cut? Or should we just reset Condition 1 to be a perforation cut?

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I think you will find that cutting posters will not only dull the blade much more quickly but the edges will not be as sharp as you want. It is doable and I would just use the perf cut options but if I needed to cut posters I would just get a javelin cutter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

A ruler and a good Olfa knife will get you a lot farther and faster with poster cutting than trying to use a plotter. Or get a cutter for trimming.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    I'm wondering why she wants to do that, unless she has a large run of rack topper signs... However, I tested my print with only a CutContour2 layer and spot color, and it worked! Next, I try the dotted perforation...