Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CutContour not working

Discussion in 'Roland' started by bayviewsignworks, Sep 4, 2009.

1. I'm creating a CutContour in Illustrator, file also has a placed cmyk PSD image, when I bring it into VW it shows up as a white line, not the grey I assigned it. - Help!!??

Tags:
  2. tanneji

tanneji Member

Dec 3, 2008
    might be something to do with the RGB vs CMYK. are you using grey as a cutcontour cut path?

3. Tharnpheffa

Tharnpheffa Member

May 22, 2008
    Isn't the Roland contour swatch pink?

4. Actually, it's more that it needs to be spot and the word "CutContour". You can make it any color - I usually use 75% black/spot. It was CMYK. I think it had to do with the PSD file I placed had layers - didn't like that. I ended up resaving without layers as a tif and seems to work now. Thanks all!

5. tanneji

tanneji Member

Dec 3, 2008

yeah thats what i was thinking ... grey is too vague and it might be picking up that tone in other gradients etc as a side effect

6. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

The swatch can be anything. Mine is 50% cyan. When you export it as an eps file the color name "CutContour" or "CutPath" is exported. When it sees that name, it will ignore the color and recognize it a Cut Path.

7. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

please look at the attached pics.... all of these need to be right for it to show up. It is color independent as long as it is a CMYK spot color.

Also, if the PSD file has transparency, it will cause problems. You are better off to save it as a flat tiff and then place the contour over the flat tiff in illustrator.

CutContour is also acceptable as a swatch name...

Attached Files: