• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cuting vinyl roll down to size

I need to print a 4ft print but I have a valuejet 1204 that takes up to 50" vinyl so my question is can I take a 54" roll of vinyl and cut it down to 50" since no suppliers carry 50 inch material

Dealers that have the capability will splice down the material you buy from them, if they're nice, and they usually are. Some may even do it for the material you have in stock, but I'm guessing it would have had to originally come from them.

Steve

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I've picked up tons of rolls of vinyl, laminate, canvas, banner material, etc from shops that close down... a lot of it rolls that are highly unusable unless i have a 102" machine or something equally as unwieldy ... I just make sure the area I'm going to cut is done with a hand saw (have a really nice japanese saw that cuts extremely clean) and the edge area is taped with about 3 or 4 passes of painters tape so it won't tear the edge wide open when I hit the bottom. you can do the same thing with a mitre saw if the roll is small enough ... used to do it with a pull saw.

Doesn't work with canvas though ... still don't know how to cut that one down properly ... everything causes the edge to unravel.