Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cutter for Epson GS6000

Discussion in 'Epson' started by bermudaman, Aug 23, 2009.

1. bermudaman

bermudaman New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Manasquan NJ
    We're getting the Epson in a couple of weeks and want to get a 30" cutter for it. Looking at a Summa or a Graphtec. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Tags:
  2. briankb

briankb Premium Subscriber

Jul 7, 2009
    Lake City, Florida
    Why a 30" instead of 64" to match the size that you can print?

3. astro8

astro8 Active Member

May 23, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    We're looking at a Summa S Class 64" to match our GS6000 64" with our 64" GBC laminator...it's the only way to go I reckon.

4. bermudaman

bermudaman New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Manasquan NJ
    We currently use Canon 9000's to produce color Autocad plots and send out our outdoor banners and signs to a 3rd party. We want to start producing this in house using the Epson. I thought we might start with a smaller cutter and see if we can build up the business for a larger one. Do you think i should just bite the bullet and get a 64"?

5. briankb

briankb Premium Subscriber

Jul 7, 2009
    Lake City, Florida
    I've been doing a lot of research on this recently to make our own equipment purchase decisions.

I think if you have a 64" printer you would be best to match it. If you are on a tight budget then get at least a 48" cutter. BTW you can get a 24" CE5000 from Signsupply for $1,295. If you just want a cutter and don't expect to be contour cutting more than 24" then go with that for now.

What made your choose the Epson over a number of different 6-color solvent printer?

6. bermudaman

bermudaman New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Manasquan NJ
    We do a lot of work for artists so the slightly better gamut of the Epson is nice. The other printer we looked at was the Roland XC-540. Great printer. We really went back and forth over the 2 but in the end, we got great color, 64 inches and a $3,000.00 rebate with the Epson. Good idea about the 24" Graphtec. I don't really want to spend a lot of money unless we can see some work for it. I know we will keep the Epson busy enough. What kind of work can we go for with a contour cutter? Labels, stickers, etc? Profitable enough? Thanks for your input. This forum has been a great resource...