Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutter registration marks on clear material

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by rm5690, Aug 24, 2020.

1. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    Recently got a roll of transparent HTV and did a small print-and-cut job to test it out.

Of course, because nothing is ever simple, our vinyl cutter (Summa s2 t160) can't read the barcode or registration marks.

So far I've tried:
    - calibrating the OPOS to the media
    - putting multiple pieces of masking tape behind the barcode to make it opaque
    - calibrating the OPOS to the media with multiple pieces of masking tape behind the calibration square
    and none of them made a difference.

Tomorrow I was going to try masking the back with white vinyl and then my last resort is going to be figuring out how to register the blade manually which Im dreading so if anyone has any tips or tricks Im all ears.

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Adhere a strip of white self-adhesive vinyl along the platen strip where the OPOS sensor traverses. It provides the necessary contrast to allow the sensor to see the reg marks and should work with the barcode, provided that the media is mostly transparent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    In conjunction with P Wagner's suggestion, you can also use the yellow filter if the white isn't enough contrast.

4. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I'm not sure what your reg marks look like, but with the ones I use an easy fix is to put white vinyl (not opaque) over the marks & take a black pen and redraw them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Depending on what hardware and software you are using you could try reverse registration marks.
    This prints a black square leaving the 'mark' the color of the material. It's an option with Flexi and Cutting Master 4 on Graphtec plotters. Might help. reverse trim.jpg

6. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    We use Wagner's suggestion of the white strip all the time. The optically clear we use has a frosted backer and the Graphtec does't like it much. Always have to use the white strip in that case.

7. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    We've had similar problems with reg marks on window perf. What our print tech came up with worked yesterday. We've had a circle punch around for years. Cuts a 2" circle. He cut a batch of circles from our inexpensive white vinyl which has a bit of a matte finish to it. Watch the perf print and as soon as the reg marks start to print he pauses the printer by lifting the window. He then drops the white circles in place where the crop marks are to be printed. Drops the window back down to resume printing then does the same for the other end of print corners. We then laminate over it all and bam!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    American Traffic makes a clear film with a white paper backing. Its pretty good stuff. And fairly cheap.

9. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    Something along those lines crossed my mind as I was leaving when I realized that the cutting strip is that tan color which is neither reflective or dark enough to provide any contrast.

Does the white vinyl on the cutting strip interfere with cutting at all? I guess I could pause it and pull the vinyl up before it actually starts cutting...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    The sensor is actually behind the cutting strip slightly.

11. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    Oh am I looking at this wrong? I thought the little pin light was kind of like a laser pointer showing where the opos dropped down...

Attached Files:

12. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    Side note...does this make anyone else think of Mr Holland's Opus? Just me? Movie night this weekend?

13. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Did anything you do work? I am curious!

We've manually registered the Roland a few times, it wasn't off by much. I don't know what a Summa's crop marks look like, but we've done both the "sharpie technique" and the "stick a old crop mark ontop" technique and both have relative success if you're OK with 1/16th to 1/8th inch off or so.

14. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    We always use the white underlay strip.

15. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    I put a strip of white vinyl on the cutting strip and it read the marks just fine.
    As soon as the OPOS was done scanning everything I paused the cutter and peeled off the vinyl just to be sure that it didn't interfere with anything.
    Im going to do some tests leaving the vinyl on the cutting strip to see if it actually affects the cutting at all.

Do you leave it on during the actual cutting process?

16. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    We leave ours on when cutting. Doesnt interfere with the blade or anything.