• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutter stops cutting after so many feet

williamson design

I have a Roland PNC 1000, works good for me, but my issue is when I cut, say 6" letters that span over 6 feet, it get to that point and just stops cutting. So I have to go back and select what id didn't cut and cut the rest. Even though it wastes a little vinyl, its the waste-of-time factor that bugs me.

I am cutting with SignMate Express and am running on a Windows 98 platform. I think its ony 32 meg of ram. I tried to get the software to run under Windows XP, and even after contacting Roland, and downloading a patch, it still didnt work.

Im just wondering if it has to do with the memory in the PC, or a setting in SignMate Eapress.

Thanks for any help

Glen

Pro Image

Could it be a setting on the cutter for Roll or Sheet feed.............I haven't had a roland in sometime now but my pnc-950 had it and if I had it on sheet it would only cut about 5ft of vinyl..........on roll it would cut the whole roll of vinyl.........

gerald

What kind of error does it give? Could it be the speed is set to high causing the vinyl to wave or jump around and the media detector is shutting you down?

williamson design

gerald

There is no error message given, the cutter is cutting at a regular speed with no problems with the vinyl.

It just gets to a certain point and the cutter just stops.

I cut the vinyl off, reset it, go back and send what didn't cut.

Per Dustin's suggestion, I looked into the settings, I could find no rol/sheet setting but I did find a buffer setting, which was set at 1024
and goes up to 8192. next round of graphics I will try the 8192.

And later I will search through the manual for more info. im off to finish some banners for the 4th of July.

thanks for the feedback

Glen

2NinerNiner2

Glen -
I am not familir with SignMate Express, but if it is using the Win98 driver for the PNC1000, it limits the cut to 62.9921 " (1600mm); this is what is occurring. What I used to do with mine is just panel the job. Perhaps SignMate will do this for you. :)

Cadmn

OP OP wake up OP OP explained once how to set things to cut longer I cant remember how he explained & No idea if I could find the explanation again but it is a setting somewhere. OP OP calling Dr. speedo dr. Speedo to the Roland counter please. LOL:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::beer:beer

OldPaint

no error message will be givin...PNC-1000 WILL ONLY CUT 62.99 INCHES.. you need a prgram like flexi/signlab, and it automatically by pass this dead end setting.

Cadmn

Thanks OP sorry to wake you from your Nap LOL I was told afternoon naps were importent as we get older & since you got me by some 10 or so years well :)
Its great to have sooo much knowledge on this board & soo many willing to help us learn & get better. really hope your feeling better now.

williamson design

So it's an automatic thing in the cutter itself? or is it also the fact that my program SigneMate Express cannot over ride this?

Thanks for all your help, before I look into new software, I think I will also chek out some new plotters/software. maybe its time to upgrade.

thanks to everyone for your help
Glen

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I didn't know flexi can over ride it. I can change the setting in flexi to do it, but the plotter still stops at about the 59"/1550mm mark, ignoring flexi. I've just learnt to work with that limit & you break up files to suit.

Glen you can use the latest XP drivers and plot from Corel 12 also. It still has that same length limit though.

OldPaint

when i had my pnc-1000 i had used signlab and it would get to that 62.99 when cutting, do all that was to be cut in that PANEL...then it would move past that and work on 2nd 62.99. it was the way roland did it on that modle.....
i have PNC-1100 and it limited to whatever i set the page lenght.

2NinerNiner2

Yep, as per OP. I used CADLink 2.01 with my PNC1000 to do 22 FOOT long decals and that is how it worked; it cut the first 63 inches, then advanced and did the next, and so on and so on... had to get the material loaded VERY straight and even so, had to baby-sit those cuts and manually "help" it to keep it tracking correctly. That's what I REALLY liked when I got the Gerber HS-15 sprocket feed plotter; unattended full roll cuts :)

williamson design

Ok at least I have an answer to the issue. my other question is what genius at Roland decided 62.99" was the limit.

I pondering new plotter, new software, etc. anyone want to throw out a good cutter/software combination.

I was looking at the FC7000-130, Vinyl Cutter with Flexi Expert Sign Software on www.signsupplystore.com. any thoughts on this equipment. I would like the software to do the same stuff as Illustrator, weld, outline etc. and possibly more

I have used Gerber stuff in the past, but im thinking larger format cutting.

Glen

gerald

I have the FC5100-130 and an FC5100-150. I love em. Never has an issue. The FC5100 is the earlier version of the FC7000. Going on 3 years and zero downtime, zero service probs.

For my money, good choice.

Flame

I love Graphtecs! I have a FC7000 right now and it's wonderful. I think the package you have chosen would work great for you. I used to use CoCut, but have since switched to Flexi. CoCut was a little more advanced in how you set stuff up as, but Flexi sure is easy.

I'd go ahead and make the purchase. I would hate to be limited to only 62.99"!

2NinerNiner2

williamson design said:
...what genius at Roland decided 62.99" was the limit...

Probably the same one that decided to switch to Versaworks from ColoRIP! LOL! :Canada 2: ... sorry, couldn't resist :) <<probably should have :) >>

... and one is only "limited" to 62.99" in one panel; the right software will panel that up lickety-split :)

Cadmn

:rolleyes:
OldPaint said:
look buddy ....i still can kick youre butt......between my naps.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
Please Please Please don't hurt me I'z be gooood Massa!!! I promise:rolleyes::thumb:

OldPaint

check out the PRO MODEL ROLANDS...... all will cut right from corel..no other program needed and corel will give a 150 FEET RUN IF YOURE PLOTTER CAN HANDLE IT...
the pro models are cm-300, 400 500, 30", 48" and 60".