• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutter tapping and missing in spots

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Hello. I have a Roland Pro 4 XR 640 with print/cut capabilities. Recently it started tapping the cutting carriage/blade during prints and print/cut jobs. Also, while cutting, it skips cutting in random places.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

oksigns

make sure heat is turned off.. media will not always rest flat so some deviation will be expected. Skipping is usually attributed to too much or too little force. If it just appears to flat out not cut certain lengths than the speed may be too fast and not enough pressure applied.

Additionally, the cutting strip may be damaged in those areas causing the blade to skip and ricochet around.

Lastly, the blade tip may have broken off- if so, the blade will always give an unreliable cut.

I have a bad spot on my cutting strip that I can avoid by centering the media, but if you know how your cutting strip acts, you can power through it- just depends on how much you want to put up with it.

rydods

The contour seems to be good in the design plus it does this on every job so it's not centralized to one job. I don't believe it's the heat or cutting strip the cutter holder actually lifts when it skips and taps up and down during printing and/or cutting.

niksagkram

I know this might sound silly, but have you tried unplugging the power cord for a few minutes? I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my XC-540. It would randomly go to the far left of the printer and start cutting in a 1" area, almost like there were thousands of nodes there and it was trying to plot them all. I tried everything to figure it out, and out of desperation I unplugged it for a few minutes. After I plugged it back it, I never had the issue again! Coincidence? Maybe, but it's worth a shot.

If that fails, call a tech. :(

Good luck.

Mark

rydods

Thanks! I'll try unplugging and if that doesn't work I'll replace the cut carriage cable.

LaurisGr

Sorry to bother. I'm experiencing the same issue on my XR640. From your experience, is that complex to replace cut carriage cable, maybe you happen to have instructions on how to do it?
thanks, Lauris

Thanks! I'll try unplugging and if that doesn't work I'll replace the cut carriage cable.

LaurisGr

Sorry to bother. I'm experiencing the same issue on my XR640. From your experience, is that complex to replace cut carriage cable, maybe you happen to have instructions on how to do it?
thanks, Lauris

100% cut carriage cable, i've seen it on a few XRs. There is a revised part for it actually.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Before you start replacing parts try removing any dust cover over the cutting mechanism and then blowing all of the dust and crud from the cutting tackle paying particular attention the the blade up/down mechanism.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
All the suggestions above are awesome, I would also suggest a tiny bit of oil on the blade to make sure it's rotating smoothly as it's cutting, otherwise sometimes curves end up "skipping" over the surface.

Just one little drop of 3-in-1 oil in the tip (unscrew it, remove the blade, and put the drop in where the blade goes, put the blade back in and out a few times to make sure it's spread around). We put a little oil in our XR-640 blade once every 4 or 5 months if we notice our weeding getting a little frustrating around corners/curves.

LaurisGr

Thanks for your input. I was hoping that might help, unfortunately not in my case, still having the issue :/

Before you start replacing parts try removing any dust cover over the cutting mechanism and then blowing all of the dust and crud from the cutting tackle paying particular attention the the blade up/down mechanism.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I would suggest you have a tech check and calibrate the upper and lower pressure settings on the cutter head (2 different strain gauge tools and dummy white pen are required). I had the same issue on a VG that was cutting random depths. When I attempted to calibrate the pressure settings, I discovered the lower pressure setting wouldn't hold the cutter solenoid down. Replacing the cut tool assembly fixed the issue.

Attachments

• Tool pressure adjustment.pdf
    0 bytes · Views: 113