Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting .062 magnetic sheet with x-carve

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by marknrob, Feb 10, 2020.

1. marknrob

marknrob New Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Texas
    Anyone with experience with cutting magnetic sheet, .062 thickness with x-carve or shapeoko? Is this possible to do with a cnc router table? Suggestions on the right equipment or tooling for repeatability of simple shapes with clean cuts. Final dimms would be 30.5" x 29" for each piece and several cutouts within the final product.
    Thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    I have a Shapeoko XXL. I can give it a try later this week but I'm not sure what magnetic material I have in stock. I know I've seen a drag knife attachment someone came up with for these cncs. That may be the answer for this type of job. I wonder if a 90 deg drag bit would score it enough to pull it apart? John

3. marknrob

marknrob New Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Texas
    John,
    That would be great. I'm trying to find out if it would do the trick vs. a plotter for consistency. The plotters that I have researched would need to be the mid range $4k ones and would limit me for use on other materials, ie. wood, plexi and soft metals, that I could make use of the machine with...

4. MoultrieMade

MoultrieMade New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Moultrie, GA
    I've had good luck with a Donek drag knife. I've found, in general, the key to success with the drag knife is to design your tool paths so there is no lifting. This means adding loops at any outside corners, and avoiding inside corners if at all possible. I use Vectric's drag knife gadget to generate the toolpath. I've also used a down-spiral 1/16" endmill, when the shape didn't lend itself to the knife option - you just have to watch for chip packing and maybe stop to clean the bit every so often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    we route magnet all the time - we use a 3mm carbide tool and just a standard path. The main thing is to seal the edges of the magnet against the table with some gaffer so the vacuum is maximised.

6. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    I cut an odd shape out with a 2mm endmill. I used thin vhb tape to hold it down and it cut it like butter. John