Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting 1" Ultraboard CNC router

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by KingsofWraps, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Morning,

I haven't been trained yet with the router in detail but I've been trying to do some test cuts and I am having issues. I am trying to cut 1" ultra board on enroute Multicam3000. Can anyone recommend the settings to route in offset section and keypad? Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it does multiple cuts on the same letter about 5-6 and it's only set to 2 in enroute.

Bit: 1/4" end mill
    Current settings: 1" depth
    Surface: 0"
    Final Depth: 1"
    Passes: 2"
    Max per pass: 0.765"
    Actual pass 0.50"
    Final pass: 0"
    Width of cut: 0"
    Number of steps: 1
    Max step: 0.2250
    Feed rate: 150
    final pass speed: 0
    Plunge rate: 55
    Dwell: 0
    Spindle: 18000
    Conventional

Tags:
  2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Do you have multiple copies of the same shape there?

3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    First of all, if this is the ultrafoam with a metal face, I found my results greatly improved if I cut it with a standard aluminum bit first, just through the aluminum, then came back with the foam bit. It can also be done upside down, with the last cut being the metal bit. I suppose first you really need to wrap your head around enroute properly, before worrying about quality of cut.

Bit: 1/4" end mill
    Current settings: 1" depth
    Surface: 0"
    Final Depth: 1" (I don't use enroute, it may be very clever, but my router would consider this -1" and if I told it 1", it would run above the material. Seems like this is correct)
    Passes: 2" (Is this an inch unit or a number of passes?)
    Max per pass: 0.765"
    Actual pass 0.50"
    Final pass: 0"
    Width of cut: 0"
    Number of steps: 1
    Max step: 0.2250 (this will make it a 5 pass cut I think)
    Feed rate: 150
    final pass speed: 0 (this will cause the machine to stop before the end of the program, or throw an error)
    Plunge rate: 55 (this seems too fast, I tend to plunge at 10, not at issue though)
    Dwell: 0
    Spindle: 18000
    Conventional

4. Artflop78

Artflop78 New Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Los Angeles
    You just need to low your feed rate to 95

5. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    I also have a Multicam 3000. Here are my settings for cutting brushed metal face on foam

68 speed, 60 plunge, 14000 spindle, climb cut, 2 pass

6. I am looking for settings for 1" foam with PVC face originally in this thread but if you have 1/2" brushed metal face I'll go ahead and try those.

7. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    Our settings for 1/2" Gatorboard we usually use 1/8" bit. 50 speed, 30 plunge, 400 spindle, 1 pass