• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting 100 sheets per day

Jasmin

Founder
Hi There!

We Currently Load and cut about a 100 sheets per day with barcodes (Vinyl stickers) 52"x 46"

Does anyone have a way of optimizing this process or making it automatic so we don't have to manually load a sheet every 5 mins?

The same way the Printer has a Take up reel and can print unattended is there a way to put on long cut jobs?

(HP print and cut cutter 54" Summa rebranded)

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It would be helpful to know what kind of equipment, RIP, workflow you have.

There is a wide range of automation available but making suggestions without knowing what you're currently using or have access to you would be pointless.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah it depends on your equipment. The top of the line Zund flatbed cutter will take a complete printed roll and cut every job automatically unattended. Mimaki and Graphtec have similar technology on their roll vinyl cutters. You load the roll, the cutter cuts the jobs and then sheet cuts them into a basket.

victor bogdanov

What equipment are you using?

The most common way to do this is to print a full roll and then cut the roll on Graphtec or similar cutter or a flatbed cutter. Both cutter types are capable of automatically cutting a full roll

Jasmin

Founder
It would be helpful to know what kind of equipment, RIP, workflow you have.

There is a wide range of automation available but making suggestions without knowing what you're currently using or have access to you would be pointless.
We have Flexi, but would be open to change to other RIPs

Jasmin

Founder

The most common way to do this is to print a full roll and then cut the roll on Graphtec or similar cutter or a flatbed cutter. Both cutter types are capable of automatically cutting a full roll
We have the HP Print and cut 54" cutter ( Think it's a Summa rebranded) I have heard you can cut By rolls but My question is, where does the cut media go, because the basket could only fit one or two of our sheets 54"x46". Imagine printing for an hour without a take up reel, the media would jam up and eventually cause a headstrike, same thing here it would jam up and cause inaccurate cuts.

victor bogdanov

We have the HP Print and cut 54" cutter ( Think it's a Summa rebranded) I have heard you can cut By rolls but My question is, where does the cut media go, because the basket could only fit one or two of our sheets 54"x46". Imagine printing for an hour without a take up reel, the media would jam up and eventually cause a headstrike, same thing here it would jam up and cause inaccurate cuts.
whole roll should fit into the basket no problem or let it go on the floor. Or get a takeup system. you can print without a take up reel and just let it fold up on the floor

jfiscus

Rap Master
You will have to get a RIP and plotter that supports this function, but it should be fine to print with your printer. We use Onyx for our RIP and Graphtec FC9000 plotters with barcodes on the prints (from the RIP) and take-up reels on the plotters. You get it loaded as usual, tape it to the take-up like your printer and get it started at the first barcode, then it does the rest on its own to the end of the roll.

Jasmin

Founder

Yeah it depends on your equipment. The top of the line Zund flatbed cutter will take a complete printed roll and cut every job automatically unattended. Mimaki and Graphtec have similar technology on their roll vinyl cutters. You load the roll, the cutter cuts the jobs and then sheet cuts them into a basket.
You will have to get a RIP and plotter that supports this function, but it should be fine to print with your printer. We use Onyx for our RIP and Graphtec FC9000 plotters with barcodes on the prints (from the RIP) and take-up reels on the plotters. You get it loaded as usual, tape it to the take-up like your printer and get it started at the first barcode, then it does the rest on its own to the end of the roll.
Amazing, I had never heard of a "take up system" for a cutter when called grimco to ask about it a few months ago they said no such thing existed. Where did you purchase yours?

victor bogdanov

Amazing, I had never heard of a "take up system" for a cutter when called grimco to ask about it a few months ago they said no such thing existed. Where did you purchase yours?

but you can cut full rolls without take up no problem, I do it everyday. Will post a picture of full basket later today

Jasmin

Founder

victor bogdanov

About 120ft of vinyl here, 30 more to go
20230830_131219.jpg

cmoist

Im wondering if the OP is kiss cutting or perf cutting. I don't think I'd try using the basket for perf cuts of that length. Kiss cuts are fine and I've done it before.