• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting 6 color design

DH Designs

so my brother-inlaw wants me to make a sticker for the back of his fishing boat, it's going to be like 14"x16" and I've attached the pic of the drawing I came up with. Anyway I've done a couple multi color stickers before so I'm aware of how to do the layering but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to cut this one ? Should I do a full solid black layer and then put the colors ontop of that,or cut the colors and just the black lines and put it together that way ? what would you do ?? Thanks Danny

Attachments

• johnyboat.jpg
    johnyboat.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 93

Pat Whatley

If you insist on doing cut vinyl do the black as a solid layer and put the other colors over it. If you just cut the black lines even the slightest shrinkage in the vinyl colors over time will leave horrible looking white spaces.

CP Signs

What Pat said. Also things like eyes and eyebrows and stripes on her sleeve, cut them out to see the black under this way you won't have to add another layer.

sardocs

+1 for solid black underneath the colours, and if you want it to look extra nice, get rid of that typeface...

DH Designs

well I'm not charging him for it so I'll cut this one and if it has problems lasting then I'll talk him into actually spending some money and then I'll have one printed/laminated for him, when that happens I'll probably redesign it for print instead of cut...oh yea he's a cheep a$$...LOL... besides I've only done a 3 color design before so I like a little challenge in doing a larger color design. LOL

MrSalumi

Ill print it for you and save you the hassle. PM me and save yourself the time of cutting and laying up.

Cheers,
Sal

Tony McD

Also if the boat is white, you can combine the white and black parts so the white of the boat shows through. This eliminates the white vinyl for her hat, cape, and shoe.