Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting a 54" roll of laminate into smaller rolls

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Kevspins2, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Kevspins2

Kevspins2 New Member

Sep 1, 2020
    Phoenix
    Hi All, quick question. I have a weird sized laminator (it is 17" wide for small projects).

I was wanting to see if I can buy a 54" roll and cut it into usable sizes? or have the distributor cut it. I haven't even asked around, came here first to see if anyone has advice.

Thanks

Tags:
  2. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Most distributors will cut it for you. Usually it's $5-10 a cut.. Free if you have a good relationship with them / buy it from them.

You can do it yourself with a chopsaw or bandsaw, but it's not as nice or clean or a cut

3. victor bogdanov

victor bogdanov Member

Aug 29, 2020
    TEXAS
    I cut 60" rolls in half all the time with a compound miter saw, nice clean cuts

4. karst41

karst41 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Stone Mountain, GA
    What blade do you use and do you slow down the saw speed?

5. victor bogdanov

victor bogdanov Member

Aug 29, 2020
    TEXAS
    Just a regular wood blade, don't remember the teeth count but its medium teeth size. No different from cutting wood, go slow and let the blade do the cutting. Depending on the saw size you might have to rotate the roll half way through the cut if the diameter is too big for the saw. make sure the roll is taped very good so it does not unwind after/during cutting

6. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I used to slit my material using a weighted utility knife holder I made, slitting while my printer's take-up
    pulled vinyl through (not printing, the pinch wheels were up) from the supply side & it did a very clean job.

Edited to add; My weighted utility knife holder had a name, I dubbed him "Sir Slits A-Lot"

7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Where were these helpful posts earlier! My distributor quoted $45/roll. Radial arm saw didn't ask nearly as much, but it cut it out of square by about 1/16"